mosic

mosic

I’ve been wondering about this, why doesn’t Supervisor.which_children/1 (and underlying :supervisor.which_children/1 of course) return the names of the child processes? Is it an inherent limitation of BEAM or is it done for other reasons (performance)?

I know that the registered name of the process can be retrieved by getting the information about that pid:

iex(1)> [{_, pid, _, _}] = Supervisor.which_children MyApp.Simple.Supervisor
[{:undefined, #PID<0.823.0>, :worker, [MyApp.Simple.Worker]}]
iex(2)> Process.info(pid)[:registered_name]
:my_named_process

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

It is because in the case of a simple_one_for_one, the child specification will not list what processes will be started, but a template that will be used as blueprint for all started children of this Supervisor.

There can potentially multiple child processes be started from the same blueprint (and often this is the case), which means that returning an ID would be confusing (as it would not uniquely identify that specific process).

mosic

mosic OP

Thanks @Qqwy, your reply prompted me to read the documentation again, this time more carefully.

I have figured what was the problem - I misunderstood what the Supervisor.Spec.child_id in Supervisor.which_children/1 represents, for some reason I thought that it was the registered name of the child process, not the template used for spawning the process.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews