qzg

qzg

This is just a general question. I didn’t want to post an issue on the Elixir GitHub, but why does Registry use the set and duplicate bag datatypes in ETS and not ordered_set. I was reading this article which looks like ordered_set is pretty useful, especially for high-concurrency structures.

I’m interested in using the Registry for a high-concurrency use case so this came up. I’m not complaining about the current performance about Registry, but I don’t think I’ve really pushed it yet either.

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

ityonemo

ityonemo

I think registry needs bag functionality for it’s use as a PubSub system. My guess about set vs ordered_set is for compatibility with people using older OTPs… It might be interesting to copy/paste the Registry code and do a performance analysis on more recent OTP, it would certainly be possible to make a compile-time choice in Elixir registry to default to one or the other depending on OTP version and if there is a difference it would likely be a welcome PR to elixir STDLIB

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

One thing to keep in mind: the performance improvements described in that article are between the old ordered_set and the new ordered_set.

I haven’t benchmarked it, but I’d guess that un-ordered ETS tables are still way faster; maintaining order in the presence of concurrent writes is usually tricky.

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

I’m sure elixir team benchmarked different approaches and picked the fastest one for their use-case.

Below is a naive benchmark for inserts and lookups, I’m not taking into account concurrent reads/writes and each function is benchmarked in a single process (AFAIK). I’m also not starting a table per scheduler (in my case I’d use 8 tables of each type) and :erlang.phash2/2 the key to pick the table to insert into / lookup from.

Personally I mostly use ordered_set for range-readable indexes (since ordered_set is a tree) that point to a record in a bag that actually holds the data. Since Registry doesn’t need to iterate the keys in order, it doesn’t need to use ordered_set.

bench_ets.exs

Mix.install([:benchee])

set = :ets.new(:set, [:set, :public])
ordered_set = :ets.new(:ordered_set, [:ordered_set, :public])
bag = :ets.new(:bag, [:bag, :public])
duplicate_bag = :ets.new(:duplicate_bag, [:duplicate_bag, :public])

Benchee.run(%{
  "set insert" => fn -> :ets.insert(set, {:crypto.strong_rand_bytes(3), <<38, 142, 150, 5, 201, 91, 240, 163, 2, 62>>}) end,
  "ordered_set insert" => fn -> :ets.insert(ordered_set, {:crypto.strong_rand_bytes(3), <<38, 142, 150, 5, 201, 91, 240, 163, 2, 62>>}) end,
  "bag insert" => fn -> :ets.insert(bag, {:crypto.strong_rand_bytes(3), <<38, 142, 150, 5, 201, 91, 240, 163, 2, 62>>}) end,
  "duplicate_bag insert" => fn -> :ets.insert(duplicate_bag, {:crypto.strong_rand_bytes(3), <<38, 142, 150, 5, 201, 91, 240, 163, 2, 62>>}) end,
  "control" => fn -> {:crypto.strong_rand_bytes(3), <<38, 142, 150, 5, 201, 91, 240, 163, 2, 62>>} end
})

ms = [{{:_, :_}, [], [true]}]

IO.puts("Counts:")
IO.inspect([
  set: :ets.select_count(set, ms),
  ordered_set: :ets.select_count(ordered_set, ms),
  bag: :ets.select_count(bag, ms),
  duplicate_bag: :ets.select_count(duplicate_bag, ms)
])

:ets.delete_all_objects(set)
:ets.delete_all_objects(ordered_set)
:ets.delete_all_objects(bag)
:ets.delete_all_objects(duplicate_bag)

for tab <- [set, ordered_set, bag, duplicate_bag] do
  Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> :ets.insert(tab, {i, i}) end)
end

Benchee.run(%{
  "set lookup" => fn -> Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> :ets.lookup(set, i) end) end,
  "ordered_set lookup" => fn -> Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> :ets.lookup(ordered_set, i) end) end,
  "bag lookup" => fn -> Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> :ets.lookup(bag, i) end) end,
  "duplicate_bag lookup" => fn -> Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> :ets.lookup(duplicate_bag, i) end) end,
  "control" => fn -> Enum.each(1..100_000, fn i -> {i, i} end) end
})
> elixir bench_ets.exs

Operating System: macOS
CPU Information: Apple M1
Number of Available Cores: 8
Available memory: 8 GB
Elixir 1.12.3
Erlang 24.1.7

Benchmark suite executing with the following configuration:
warmup: 2 s
time: 5 s
memory time: 0 ns
parallel: 1
inputs: none specified
Estimated total run time: 35 s

Benchmarking bag insert...
Benchmarking control...
Benchmarking duplicate_bag insert...
Benchmarking ordered_set insert...
Benchmarking set insert...

Name                           ips        average  deviation         median         99th %
control                  1685.13 K        0.59 μs  ±1066.71%           1 μs           1 μs
bag insert                880.97 K        1.14 μs   ±657.97%           1 μs           2 μs
duplicate_bag insert      844.37 K        1.18 μs   ±480.45%           1 μs           2 μs
set insert                841.37 K        1.19 μs   ±511.06%           1 μs           2 μs
ordered_set insert        477.47 K        2.09 μs   ±463.39%           2 μs           3 μs

Comparison:
control                  1685.13 K
bag insert                880.97 K - 1.91x slower +0.54 μs
duplicate_bag insert      844.37 K - 2.00x slower +0.59 μs
set insert                841.37 K - 2.00x slower +0.60 μs
ordered_set insert        477.47 K - 3.53x slower +1.50 μs

Counts:
[set: 4210616, ordered_set: 2842773, bag: 4343634, duplicate_bag: 4919200]

Operating System: macOS
CPU Information: Apple M1
Number of Available Cores: 8
Available memory: 8 GB
Elixir 1.12.3
Erlang 24.1.7

Benchmark suite executing with the following configuration:
warmup: 2 s
time: 5 s
memory time: 0 ns
parallel: 1
inputs: none specified
Estimated total run time: 35 s

Benchmarking bag lookup...
Benchmarking control...
Benchmarking duplicate_bag lookup...
Benchmarking ordered_set lookup...
Benchmarking set lookup...

Name                           ips        average  deviation         median         99th %
control                     353.35        2.83 ms     ±3.51%        2.81 ms        3.03 ms
set lookup                  146.83        6.81 ms     ±3.15%        6.77 ms        7.75 ms
duplicate_bag lookup        133.99        7.46 ms     ±1.40%        7.46 ms        7.84 ms
bag lookup                  132.82        7.53 ms    ±12.33%        7.35 ms        9.93 ms
ordered_set lookup           76.62       13.05 ms     ±2.41%       13.02 ms       14.22 ms

Comparison:
control                     353.35
set lookup                  146.83 - 2.41x slower +3.98 ms
duplicate_bag lookup        133.99 - 2.64x slower +4.63 ms
bag lookup                  132.82 - 2.66x slower +4.70 ms
ordered_set lookup           76.62 - 4.61x slower +10.22 ms
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews