Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip

In every WhatsApp “success story” article, I notice that they all mention that WhatsApp runs FreeBSD.

I don’t see what is advantage of running FreeBSD compared to running some mainstream Linux distro like some Debian derivitiave or RHEL. It seems to me that documentation and support will be somewhat worse for FreeBSD.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

victorbjorklund

victorbjorklund

They seem to have moved away from that in order to fit better in with the rest of meta. > WhatsApp moved away from FreeBSD to Linux. I'm a former WhatsApp server engine... | Hacker News

See also this thread on running elixir on FreeBSD vs Linux. Linux vs FreeBSD for Phoenix? - #12 by Mandemus

JeyHey

JeyHey

FreeBSD is a great system. I’m running one since 7 years and had no problems.

The main reason, thought, might be that Jan Koum was a FreeBSD expert.

fmn

fmn

I was using FreeBSD, TrueOS / PC-BSD (and other BSD variants), and I had four, main complaints:

  • Out of the box, desktop environment was just less responsive and slower than GNU/Linux.
  • I didn’t had great experience using FreeBSD Ports.
  • I prefer / I am used to GNU Coreutils; I am not very fond of BSD variant / equivalent.
  • Until ZFS happened, there was UFS2, and it was so-so. GEOM came quite late with its journaling.

I need to admit, though, I didn’t gave it a shot since 10 years or so. :slight_smile:

brightball

brightball

The discussions I’ve seen around it on HN mention that it’s much easier to maintain and secure it, but there’s a lot of headaches for library usage.

Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip OP

How so?

JeyHey

JeyHey

I used FreeBSD as a server OS for my rack server. It is easy to maintain, setup and run. I never used it as a desktop OS, so I have no experience there.

Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip OP

I think this would be the biggest complaint for me too. I’m just too accustomed to GNU Coreutils. Though I believe that there is a way use GNU Coreutils on Unix (at least for Macs, which are Unix).

brightball

brightball

I’ll have to find the thread. That was just the sentiment from the HN crowd.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 for this - folks spend a lot of time trying to discover deep technical reasons for decisions that often come down to “we need to use SOMETHING and our CEO has deep experience deploying WHATEVER_THING so let’s use that”.

The other popular-but-often-overlooked reason is “because implementing it was a hassle and the person who was willing to do it wanted to use WHATEVER_THING because it was shiny”; for instance, the choice of Scala over other JVM languages at Twitter for performance-critical parts.

tj0

tj0

During the 2000’s, FreeBSD had a more performant tcp stack and many high-traffic websites used it. Considering that Whatsapp ran on a small set of big servers, picking FreeBSD certainly doesn’t seem out of line. I’m not sure if Linux tcp stack has ever surpassed it. For instance, Netflix still uses FreeBSD to serve video.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews