Why is code inside of `defmacro` being executed on compilation?

With the following code:

defmodule Foobar do
  defmacro b(arg) do
    arg
    |> String.split("\n")
    |> IO.inspect()
  end

defmacro a() do
    other(&b/1)
  end

def other(thing), do: thing
end

during compilation of this module this error occurs:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in String.split/3    

The following arguments were given to String.split/3:

# 1
        {:x1, [], :elixir_fn}

# 2
        "\n"

# 3
        []

Attempted function clauses (showing 4 out of 4):

def split(string, %Regex{} = pattern, options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, "", options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, [], options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, pattern, options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)

(elixir 1.15.5) lib/string.ex:478: String.split/3
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:750: :erl_eval.do_apply/7
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:1026: :erl_eval.expr_list/7
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:456: :erl_eval.expr/6
    expanding macro: Foobar.b/1
    #cell:opffgr7vdttksyult6zxtm6vlvo6paax:1: (file)

This implies that the code is being executed, but how and why?

Isn’t it because you aren’t quoteing it?

The first rule of macros is that the accept AST and they must return AST. The way this is typically accomplished is to wrap the code you want executed at runtime in a quote expression. For example:

defmacro b(arg) do
  quote do
    unquote(arg)
    |> String.split("\n")
    |> IO.inspect()
  end
end

Note that in order to apply the arg inside the quoted expression, it needs to be unquoted.

3 Likes

@kip, that’s not the issue here. The macro this was derived from is being passed in an AST. I’m just demonstrating how the code is be executed despite it not being called anywhere.

Hmmm, other than disambiguating the reference to &b/1 I just copied and pasted into iex and didn’t see the same output (Elixir 1.15.5, OTP 26)

iex(1)> defmodule Foobar do
...(1)>   defmacro b(arg) do
...(1)>     arg
...(1)>     |> String.split("\n")
...(1)>     |> IO.inspect()
...(1)>   end
...(1)>
...(1)>   defmacro a() do
...(1)>     other(&Foobar.b/1)
...(1)>   end
...(1)>
...(1)>   def other(thing), do: thing
...(1)> end
warning: you must require Foobar before invoking the macro Foobar.b/1
  iex:9: Foobar.a/0

{:module, Foobar,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 7, 8, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 224, 0,
   0, 0, 23, 13, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 70, 111, 111, 98, 97, 114, 8,
   95, 95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, 95, ...>>, {:other, 1}}

I mistakenly assumed the snippet posted wasn’t the full example, sorry about that.

Yes I’ve confirmed the same on my end. Not sure if this should be considered a bug or not.

It is called - there other(&b/1). Macros aren’t (at least directly) available in runtime, so cannot be referenced. So what Elixir does is that it treat it the same way as fn a -> b(a) end, which mean it need to expand b(a) call. And there is where your code is evaluated.

2 Likes

There are at least two things going wrong here:

1. @hauleth is absolutely right, the &b/1 is being rewritten to fn x1 -> b(x1) end. The macro b then expands with the argument x1, which is {:x1, [], :elixir_fn} as AST. This is why you see the {:x1, [], :elixir_fn} being passed to String.split/3 in your example.

2. Even if you rewrite the body of a to handle a non-string argument, e.g. ignore the argument completely and just return :ok, returning the anonymous function fn x1 -> b(x1) end from b is invalid:

** (CompileError) scratch.exs: invalid quoted expression: #Function<0.1526323/1 in Foobar."MACRO-a"/1>

To get things to compile, a needs to be rewritten to return valid AST:

defmacro a do
        quote do
          Foobar.other(&Foobar.b/1)
        end
      end

I suspect, however, that this might not address the actual code that this example was based off of. What I think you’re trying to do is to defer macro expansion until runtime. This isn’t possible except by evaluating a quoted expression, but that is a whole other can of worms. If this is the case, it’s worth reconsidering the approach.

1 Like