rcm765

rcm765

With the following code:

defmodule Foobar do
  defmacro b(arg) do
    arg
    |> String.split("\n")
    |> IO.inspect()
  end

  defmacro a() do
    other(&b/1)
  end

  def other(thing), do: thing
end

during compilation of this module this error occurs:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in String.split/3    
    
    The following arguments were given to String.split/3:
    
        # 1
        {:x1, [], :elixir_fn}
    
        # 2
        "\n"
    
        # 3
        []
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 4 out of 4):
    
        def split(string, %Regex{} = pattern, options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, "", options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, [], options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
        def split(string, pattern, options) when is_binary(string) and is_list(options)
    
    (elixir 1.15.5) lib/string.ex:478: String.split/3
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:750: :erl_eval.do_apply/7
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:1026: :erl_eval.expr_list/7
    (stdlib 5.0.2) erl_eval.erl:456: :erl_eval.expr/6
    expanding macro: Foobar.b/1
    #cell:opffgr7vdttksyult6zxtm6vlvo6paax:1: (file)

This implies that the code is being executed, but how and why?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Isn’t it because you aren’t quoteing it?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

The first rule of macros is that the accept AST and they must return AST. The way this is typically accomplished is to wrap the code you want executed at runtime in a quote expression. For example:

defmacro b(arg) do
  quote do
    unquote(arg)
    |> String.split("\n")
    |> IO.inspect()
  end
end

Note that in order to apply the arg inside the quoted expression, it needs to be unquoted.

rcm765

rcm765 OP

@kip, that’s not the issue here. The macro this was derived from is being passed in an AST. I’m just demonstrating how the code is be executed despite it not being called anywhere.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Hmmm, other than disambiguating the reference to &b/1 I just copied and pasted into iex and didn’t see the same output (Elixir 1.15.5, OTP 26)

iex(1)> defmodule Foobar do
...(1)>   defmacro b(arg) do
...(1)>     arg
...(1)>     |> String.split("\n")
...(1)>     |> IO.inspect()
...(1)>   end
...(1)>
...(1)>   defmacro a() do
...(1)>     other(&Foobar.b/1)
...(1)>   end
...(1)>
...(1)>   def other(thing), do: thing
...(1)> end
warning: you must require Foobar before invoking the macro Foobar.b/1
  iex:9: Foobar.a/0

{:module, Foobar,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 7, 8, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 224, 0,
   0, 0, 23, 13, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 70, 111, 111, 98, 97, 114, 8,
   95, 95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, 95, ...>>, {:other, 1}}

I mistakenly assumed the snippet posted wasn’t the full example, sorry about that.

rcm765

rcm765 OP

Yes I’ve confirmed the same on my end. Not sure if this should be considered a bug or not.

hauleth

hauleth

It is called - there other(&b/1). Macros aren’t (at least directly) available in runtime, so cannot be referenced. So what Elixir does is that it treat it the same way as fn a -> b(a) end, which mean it need to expand b(a) call. And there is where your code is evaluated.

zachallaun

zachallaun

There are at least two things going wrong here:

  1. @hauleth is absolutely right, the &b/1 is being rewritten to fn x1 -> b(x1) end. The macro b then expands with the argument x1, which is {:x1, [], :elixir_fn} as AST. This is why you see the {:x1, [], :elixir_fn} being passed to String.split/3 in your example.

  2. Even if you rewrite the body of a to handle a non-string argument, e.g. ignore the argument completely and just return :ok, returning the anonymous function fn x1 -> b(x1) end from b is invalid:

    ** (CompileError) scratch.exs: invalid quoted expression: #Function<0.1526323/1 in Foobar."MACRO-a"/1>
    

    To get things to compile, a needs to be rewritten to return valid AST:

      defmacro a do
        quote do
          Foobar.other(&Foobar.b/1)
        end
      end
    

I suspect, however, that this might not address the actual code that this example was based off of. What I think you’re trying to do is to defer macro expansion until runtime. This isn’t possible except by evaluating a quoted expression, but that is a whole other can of worms. If this is the case, it’s worth reconsidering the approach.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews