kelvinst

kelvinst

When I run mix test --cover in my Phoenix project, I get some files with poor coverage because they are tiny modules with a use Something, and some of them mark the defmodule X do line as executable.

e.g.

Any idea why?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

I’m guessing it has something to do with use adding functions that are not being used anywhere… But just wanted to make sure that’s it…

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

This really piqued my curiosity so I put together a little test and it seems you’re… half right? I’m not exactly known for being able to come up with the most accurate scenarios for these things but it appears you just need to use something from the dependency module.

With this test:

defmodule CoverTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  test "foobars the world" do
    assert Cover.hello() == "foobar"
  end
end

…and this dependency module:

defmodule Cover.Dep do
  defmacro __using__(_) do
    quote do
      def foo, do: "foo"
      def bar, do: "bar"
    end
  end
end

…this gets 50% coverage:

defmodule Cover do
  use Cover.Dep

  def hello do
    "foobar"
  end
end

…and this gets 100%:

defmodule Cover do
  use Cover.Dep

  def hello do
    foo() <> bar()
  end
end

…which I thought proved your theory right until I tried this:

defmodule Cover do
  use Cover.Dep

  def hello do
    foo() <> "bar"
  end
end

…which also scores 100% :face_with_spiral_eyes:

So ya, I know your post is only 5 hours old but BUMP for anyone who knows! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh, perhaps it’s because it doesn’t consider strings executable so the fact that you are using anything from the module means it’s covered?

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

It scores 100% because as foo and bar are defined by Cover.Dep, using any function defined from it would mark the defmodule line as covered. The defs inside quotes aren’t marked as executable by the coverage tool at all.

Anyway, thanks for the investigation! That’s definitely why I posted here, cause I knew there was going to be someone as curious as I am - but not as lazy as I was - that would test it :smile:

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I feel so used :sweat_smile:

Right, that makes sense, thanks!

trentjones21

trentjones21

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Is the conclusion that we don’t know what is causing this or how to fix it? I’m running into this same thing. And 98.33% coverage on a file just doesn’t release those endorphins like it should.

Schultzer

Schultzer

You could fix it, by improving Erlang cover tool, although it might also be a time to take a few steps back and meditate. Code coverage is a bad metric to begin with, and especially if the goal is to get to a 100%.

It’s great to get an idea if there is something you have missed testing for or even dead code. But that is all it is. I really wish that the report was inverted instead of fueling an addiction, which I’m 100% guilty off.

christhekeele

christhekeele

I’m only 98.33% guilty of this, but otherwise agree!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews