arcadian

arcadian

I am seeing huge variations in GenServer performance in some of my platforms and I think it is a result of messaging performance on different architectures. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas as to what is happening or how I would investigate? I want to make sure that I put a fast system into production rather than a slow one.

Specifically, I wrote a short program that spawns an incrementing GenServer (just keeps a count of how many times it is called), and ten Agents that call that GenServer a million times each. On my i5-9500, the program takes 9.5 seconds, and on my i7-9800X, it takes 48 seconds - about 5x longer. Both systems are running on the same OS (FreeBSD) and the same version of elixir and erlang (built using kerl / kiex).

Some thoughts: The i7-9800X is technically a Skylake-X system, which may have the PAUSE issue, and it also has hyperthreading - maybe those could be part of the issue. Or perhaps there is also a way to change the latency of Erlang / Elixir to respond to messages more quickly. Any ideas / suggestions would be welcome.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Exadra37

Exadra37

I am really curious why this did happen to you, but I don’t have a clue how to help you.

Maybe one of the possible reasons you didn’t get any response on your question, it’s because you didn’t share the code :thinking:

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

So let me get this right: you have ONE GenServer process that receives millions messages from 10 other processes?

I know nothing about these processes, but in that scenario what would matter a lot is single-threading performance of the CPU, as the nature of work is I assume concentrated in the GenServer processing messages, and also amount of cache in the CPU.

I don’t think this is a real life scenario, by the way, you usually would not have one bottleneck like that by design precisely because it’s a bottleneck.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews