neurodynamic

neurodynamic

The relevant config.exs section looks like this:

render_errors: [
    formats: [html: MyAppWeb.ErrorHTML, json: MyAppWeb.ErrorJSON],
    layout: false
  ],

Nothing I do in that config setting seems to have any effect on the layout situation for the 404 page. I have a 404.html.heex file at lib/my_app_web/controllers/error_html/404.html.heex, and error_html.ex looks like this:

defmodule MyAppWeb.ErrorHTML do
  use MyAppWeb, :html

  embed_templates "error_html/*"

  def render(template, _assigns) do
    Phoenix.Controller.status_message_from_template(template)
  end
end

My understanding is that best practice is for error templates to be entirely independent and render with no layout at all, but I can’t get it to use no layout or to use both root and app, which seems absolutely bizarre, because I can’t think of any context in which you’d want just app without root around it. I feel like I must be missing something obvious. I’m running Phoenix 1.7.2 if it matters.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

According to the Custom Error Pages — Phoenix v1.7.2 guide, the render/2 function will override the template from embed_templates.

After you define the template file, remember to remove the equivalent render/2 clause for that template, as otherwise the function overrides the template. Let’s do so for the 404.html clause we have previously introduced in lib/hello_web/controllers/error_html.ex. We also need to tell Phoenix to embed our templates into the module:

+ embed_templates "error_html/*"

- def render("404.html", _assigns) do
-  "Page Not Found"
- end
neurodynamic

neurodynamic OP

Changing that doesn’t seem to have any effect either. It is rendering the correct file, it’s just what it’s wrapping it with, layout-wise, that’s weird.

neurodynamic

neurodynamic OP

AH! FIGURED IT OUT!

I had some old code at the bottom of my router that was handling 404 issues specifically that I had completely forgotten about, so it wasn’t going through the usual pipeline at all.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews