Exadra37
A bug going into production without any need:
warning: undefined module attribute @seconds, please remove access to @seconds or explicitly set it before access
lib/api_baas/accounts_admins/admin_user_token.ex:120: ApiBaas.AccountsAdmins.AdminUserToken (module)
Yes, tests should caught it, but why doesn’t the compiler abort compilation when it finds this?
Yes, I know that warnings can be enabled to behave as errors, but some warnings need to behave as warnings, and not halt the compiler.
I am curious about the reason for this to be considered as an warning and not an error?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hst337
Elixir’s code states that it is a known issue and they just don’t want to add breaking change
Exadra37
Why only in
v2.0, that may never come!?This a breaking change to solve a serious issue that lets bugs crop into production and it’s a compiler breaking change not a runtime one.
hst337
Just use
--warnings-as-errorswhich is a sane option for CIal2o3cr
I’m curious about what these are, because I can’t remember the last project I worked on that didn’t build with
--warnings-as-errorsin CI.Exadra37
For example:
al2o3cr
I only have 1.13 + OTP 25 right at hand to test, but on that version I still get the same warning from
plugwhen runningmix compile --warnings-as-errorswith an empty_builddirectory.However,
--warnings-as-errorsdoesn’t turn warnings in dependencies into errors.Some historical digging reveals that it used to; around the time of Elixir 1.4 that was changed, by commits like:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/commit/bc2480d53749ffbd102898f5ead7e0948aa860ae
dimitarvp
Well IMO this is a reasonable request. An opt-in configuration to allow compilation failure if any warning is in the project’s or any of the dependencies’ code should do the trick. There are orgs that inspect and slightly modify their project deps.
Exadra37
I really don’t understand the rational of allowing this breaking change and not allowing the breaking change that would really fix the issue and make Elixir compilation to deliver a more robust code, instead of buggy code as it does at the moment.
The rationale of postponing for v2.0 really puzzles me, because that version may never exist as Jose keeps saying, but even if it was scheduled it doesn’t make any sense in my mind to wait, because this is a compiler bug that should be fixed, because a compiler that produces bad code output isn’t helping anyone.
hst337
I think you should ask someone from the core team about this.
dimitarvp
I don’t think it necessarily produces bad code. It’s kind of increasing the risk of having bad code though, that’s true.