Sebb
Using JS.push we can send arbitrary values (only atoms seem to be converted to string).
<div phx-click={JS.push("signal", value: %{...}}>
Why can’t we just do that with phx-value?
<div phx-click="signal" phx-value={...}>
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
trisolaran
I believe the values have to be json-encodable.
josevalim
phx-value will be encoded as an attribute and therefore will use HTML encoding rules. Via JS it is JSON based.
Sebb
I understand, that this is the way it is, but I find myself always using
JS.pushjust to not have to convert everything from strings, so I’d like to have the simplicity ofphx-valuewith the power of push/value.trisolaran
I agree, I see no reason why it couldn’t work this way. It would be a nice addition IMO.
soup
As it is, you’d have to implement
Phoenix.HTML.SafeforMap, which would impact things outside of attributes (good or bad). Unsure how painful it would be to alter the heex engine to handle expression attributes in a special way vs other content.The click handler also wont know if you’re trying to send the string
"{}"or the JSON object{}, (or worse"{true: false}"where you meant to send json but encoded it wrong), so you probably also have to attach some metadata there to flag it as json when sending on the JS side, I guess by the heex engine attaching an additional attribute when its passed a non-string result. That intertwines heex andphx-value-*attributes pretty tightly though, don’t think there exists any heex extension system atm? Though recent changes to support xml (and so make it configurable?) probably means you could write your own small shim and just call up to the normal engine.phx-json-value-xcould be the way to go or maybe a specificJS.to_value(%{})with some defined encoding patterns for LV to recognise. Neither are particularly appealing to me.I would probably look to writing my own handler, that matched say
soup-click="x", which grabbed allsoup-click-value-x(or evenphx-value-x) and json decoded them thenpushEvent’d.Currently I don’t think you can
pushEventon the raw socket, you need a hook so it can push to the correct parent view and you’d need to bind new elements in theupdatedcallback.Thats all a lot of work to avoid calling
pushthough. I do prefer the attribute syntax.