stefanluptak

stefanluptak

Hi there!

When I am trying to build my Commanded aggregate from events, it crashes my Render.com instance saying Out of memory (used over 2Gi).

I am building the aggregate from 100_000 events. That’s a lot, but nothing enormous I hope.
Every event returns something between 150-200 when executing :erts_debug.size(event).
The final (built) aggregate returns around 1_400_000 when calling :erts_debug.size(aggregate). It starts almost from zero and each event increases its size a bit.

EventStore is backed by PostgreSQL and the event data is stored as jsonb.

On my MacBook with this configuration it takes around 20 seconds.

Operating System: macOS
CPU Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7360U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Number of Available Cores: 4
Available memory: 16 GB
Elixir 1.10.2
Erlang 22.2.8

That seems reasonable, considering the number of events. I am just surprised, that this could consume so much memory. I though that the garbage collector is somehow getting rid of the already consumed events and already discarded versions of aggregate. Isn’t that the case?

This is the part responsible for building the aggregate. I assume it’s correct, I link it here just in case.

I am really curious to know why it is so memory hungry and what exactly is causing this. Any tips how to profile this? Or is it event worth it if that memory consumption is just a fact I have to deal with?

EDIT: Benchee says it consumes around 13GB when benchmarking with parameter memory_time: 10.

Thanks a lot.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

bottlenecked

bottlenecked

Hi there, this reminds me of what can happen when a routing process handles large amounts of messages with reference counted strings in them (>64B) but makes very few (if any) allocations on its own. A strategy to deal with such problems is to force garbage collection every n number of messages, so that the references are removed and the strings can be gc’ed.

So… what if you fetched the events in batches, and forced a gc on the process that does the aggregation before moving on with the next batch? I’m not sure how easy is this to do with commanded, but perhaps it’s worth a try.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak OP

OK, I did some benchmarking and created a PR which should drasticaly improve the consumption. There are more details in its description here
I am really curious why the big difference in the memory consumption.
Any ideas someone?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews