astery
Here is the list and it is at the bottom of the table.
I would expect that <- would have a right associativity like =. Because in both operators when we match statements:
{:ok, _} = Some.function()
and
with {:ok, _} <- Some.function() do
# ...
end
Pattern is on the left side and one evaluated is on the right. So I’ve expected Right associativity.
What’s wrong with my reasoning?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
IvanIvanoff
Associativity plays a role when multiple operators are chained. It controls the order of grouping operands to operators with the same precedence.
=being with Right associativity means thata = b = 10will be evaluated as(a = (b = 10))and not as((a = b) = 10).-is also left associative, meaning that5 - 4 - 3is evaluated as((5 - 4) - 3) == -2. If it was right associative it would have been evaluated as(5 - (4 - 3)) == 4.When the operator is used a single time, the associativity does not play a role –
5 - 3 == 2no matter if-is left or right associative<-is left associative not only in the docs, but also in the parser. So there is no error in the documentation.I was not able to actually come up with an example where multiple
<-are chained, something like this does not work:If I had to guess before looking it up, I would have guessed that
<-is non-associative. Example for non associative operator is the unarynot. A singlenot trueis valid, but chaining multiplenots is not:not true not falseis a syntax error.cevado
i belive that
<-is left associative due to how it works when you use several of them in sequence, likesince I can use the result of the first
<-in the next<-statement. At least is how I understand it.IvanIvanoff
In these examples of
withandforthe comma,separates the expressions. The comma itself is left associative, which is what controls the order of evaluation.You can check that by replacing the left associative
<-with the right associative=and still being able to use the result of the previous results: