itSQualL
Hi!
We want to know why livecomponent mount/1 socket is empty. Shouldn’t be the same socket passed through when invoking it from liveview parent?
We’d like to use livecomponent mount to assign initial component state, but we need some info like current user_id.
We thought that info would be available on socket but it is empty.
We could move the logic to the preload or update methods, but then, the functions will be called in each update instead of being called only at the beginning.
So, what is the purpose of livecomponent mount if you can’t access to any contextual data?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sadjow
You can get the current user using the session instead.
About assigns from the parent components, I think it is better to pass it directly(like React and or Vue.js does)
So that way you can pass only what is needed to the child component, keeping it lightweight.
sadjow
But, no sure if we should do that db call on every child component. Perhaps, it is better to pass user details as assings to child components.
itSQualL
Yep, the problem in the component is the only place where you have that id is in update or preload functions, so you need to add extra logic to only perform queries once.
If we had the assigns available in mount we didn’t have to take care doing extra request on updates.
sadjow
Did you evaluate if you can have a child template instead of another component?
i-n-g-m-a-r
Great question.
Initializing anything useful can only be done in
update/2.mount/1needs (readonly) access to “parent” assigns to become useful.I have spent many hours finding a solution without any success.
Please update when you find something.
Matheus
I am also in that same state. Needing to retrieve useful information from the main liveview to my live_component that has mount / 1
i-n-g-m-a-r
you are aware that you can copy the state from parent to child (using assign) ?
(and have as many copies of the parent assigns as you have children LiveComponents)
what you can’t do is read the parent state once while mounting and translate (some of) the parent state into an independent child state.
(we would want that of course)
Matheus
Yes, but i thought about the same possible scenario that you covered, about mount and convert the parent state into an independent child state. That concept would be interesting
i-n-g-m-a-r
I just proposed a (maybe) possible solution here:
Let’s see what happens.
i-n-g-m-a-r
So @josevalim has some serious concerns about potential issues when using contextual data that is not change tracked within the LiveComponent.