Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Hi everybody,

I have a question I wanted to ask for a long time but never had the opportunity.

When I was learning the basics and discovered mix I was confused by the last item shown in the help listing:

~>mix help
mix                   # Runs the default task (current: "mix run")
...
mix run               # Starts and runs the current application
mix test              # Runs a project's tests
mix xref              # Prints cross reference information
iex -S mix            # Starts IEx and runs the default task

Why the heck starting IEx in the Mix Project context it’s not mix iex or something like that..
But after playing more and more I discovered that it makes total sense to use iex -S mix so that you can still pass option to IEx like --erl or --cookie etc..

But to be honest I also always wondered why the flag is capitalized -S instead of -s.
It seems that the Script option of iex is inherit from elixir but I don’t see any existing -s option (lowercase).

I’m not a vim-golfer or a script-golfer or any kind of other code-golfer, but this extra key stroke for the most used command (for me in development) mildly infuriates me.

Also, actually I’m using a shortcut to run that command so it doesn’t bother me anymore and now I can shrug too.. But I just wanted to learn the reason at least. I expect it has a valid reason but I didn’t see.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

superruzafa

superruzafa

I was exactly looking the answer to this question right now.

adamu

adamu

Can’t resist a good thread resurrect to do some detective work.

According to José Valim:

It is because everything after -S is taken as the new script to run. So it behaves differently than the other options.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews