sezaru

sezaru

Hello,

I was wondering, why Phoenix doesn’t follow the “unwritten rule” that your module path should be identical to the file path in the system (ex: MyApp.Bla.Ble would be in lib/my_app/bla/ble.ex) for some of its framework files?

That may sound dumb, but one of the things that I like most about Elixir is the well-defined patterns that everyone uses, variables, atoms and files should use underscore, modules should be camel case, etc. This, IMO, makes the code well organized, easy to read, and easy to find. And in my experience, most of the Elixir libraries follow these patterns (except Google ones, ofc).

At the same time, you have some parts of the Phoenix Framework which seem to ignore this. For example, instead of having MyAppWeb.Controllers.Page which would be stored in lib/my_app_web/controllers/page.ex, we have MyAppWeb.PageController which is stored in lib/my_app_web/controllers/page_controller.ex. The same thing happens with views, components, etc.

I know I’m exaggerating, but this for some reason makes me remember java class names like AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean :sweat_smile:

I’m not saying that this is wrong or anything, it mostly depends on the user’s opinion in the end… But at the same time, having the module reflect the file path makes things easy to find and makes, IMO, the language not dependent on IDEs, so this made me wonder why Phoenix does this, I’m pretty sure there is a good reason.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Essentially all parts of my_app_web ignore this.

The reason being is to prevent you having three (or more) page.ex files/….Page modules in your codebase (schema/controller/view/…) which makes it hard to search by filename or module. Given this overlap of names is common place and not a rare occurance it makes sense to break with a convention, given it’s only a convention and not enforced by anything.

sezaru

sezaru OP

Thanks for the explanation @LostKobrakai , that makes sense even though I still prefer having multiple page.ex files tbh.

Probably because I never search for a file in the project but go manually to the file directory, so I never had this problem.

But I guess most people would search for the file, so the current approach would work better for them.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews