quazar

quazar

I am little bit confused about arc and ecto_arc using with phoenix. Suppose I have a schema “User” and it has avatar pic. Do I really need to create avatar string field or can I just get away with naming file consistently using id or uuid, ex.

  def filename(version, {_, scope}) do
    "avatar_#{scope.uuid}"
  end

def storage_dir(version, {file, scope}) do
  "uploads/images/#{scope.uuid}/"
end

It works but I am not sure it its best pratice. Also I have added boolean column (avatar_uploaded) to track if avatar is uploaded. I understand that boolean uses very few bytes compared to storing string and for a model with like million records this can really save some space. So should I do it? What pitfalls am I digging for myself?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NobbZ

NobbZ

String fields in a database, null or with a value, might still occupy the full space on disk that is defined as max. This is sometimes done by the DBMS as a measure of optimization (alignment of data on disk). Therefore usually just making the string fields nullable and treating null as nothing uploaded is probably the way that consumes the least space.

quazar

quazar OP

I think you misunderstood me. I meant if the file I am uploading will be renamed in def filename and this new file name is only dependent on scope.id. In that can do I need to store it in database at all? I mean id is not going to change whatsoever.

URL example on arc readme file. The url generated is not dependent on filename “selfie.png” at all, so why it needs to be there?

Avatar.url({"selfie.png", user}) #=> "https://bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1/original.png"
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews