jtompl

jtompl

I think it’s quite common in Elixir to use MyModule.t() for type specs. Elixir docs for example suggest using String.t() and Range.t() types.

Yet, there is no such thing as Integer.t() or Boolean.t(). For these two, we expect everyone to use integer() / boolean(). Why? :wink: Why don’t we add those missing type specs?

Asking, because quite regularly, some devs (including myself) forget about that inconsequence and mistakenly write Integer.t(). Only after somebody else’s code review I realise that it’s wrong and I have to correct it.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Additional types are only added when they add to the set of typespecs, not to just alias existing ones. String.t might technically only alias binary, but it adds the context of denoting specifically UTF-8 encoded data, as opposed to arbitrary encoded binaries. None of the String modules functions is meant to work with binaries, which are not UTF-8 encoded.

That’s why there’s no Integer.t, because there’s no need for it.

hauleth

hauleth

Because String.t() is conceptually different than binary() (though it probably could be :unicode.unicode_binary() nowadays instead).

About why there is no Boolean.t(), mostly because there is existing alias that does that boolean() :: true | false and there is no Boolean module at all. Creating whole module only for sake of single type spec that already exists is a little bit too much in my book.

In short:

  • If it is built in type (as “in VM built in”) - there is built-in spec (with few exceptions like iodata() or boolean())
  • If it is compound type (like Range.t() which is in fact just a struct) - then there is Module.t() type
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews