itssasanka

itssasanka

Hi all,

Trying to get some more clarity over utc_datetime and naive_datetime for Ecto:

The documentation above suggests that while NaiveDateTime doesn’t store any
TimeZone data associated with it, DateTime seems to, however the former, when used,
Ecto seems to store timestamps (inserted_at, updated_at) in according to UTC timezone anyway.
I read that using utc_datetime “ensures” that dates are always converted to utc before getting stored/retrieved from and to the database, however I am not sure what the significance of the “ensures” aspect here is, since naive_datetime seems to do it anyway.

And I also think storing timestamptz values in the database may not be really required, since I can just store utc timestamps everywhere and user timezone preferences in another table and use these two pieces of info to convert accordingly before presenting to the users.

Can someone throw some light on what the real world significance in using utc_datetime type for timestamps is? What am I missing here?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You’re correct. timestamp columns are actually better for ecto (alone) as with timestamptz postgres will try to convert the timestamp to the clients timezone on its own. While for timestamp you can be sure postgres just leaves timestamps as is, with ecto handling all the timezone stuff at runtime using the settings/timezone db of elixir.

naive_datetime does store timestamps as UTC datetimes – that’s true. But that’s only “accidental” because it’s using NaiveDateTime.utc_now() to generate timestamps. If you manually set such fields to a different naive datetime you build from another timezone there’s no way for ecto to detect that. NaiveDateTime structs just don’t have a timezone component, which is the reason why they’re called naive.

For utc_datetime ecto will enforce that any saved datetime uses the Etc/UTC timezone. It’ll error otherwise. If you query the record you’ll also get back only datetimes with tthe timezone set to UTC. So the fact that datetimes use UTC changed from being implicit and prone to error with naive_datetime to explicit and enforced at runtime with utc_datetime.

17
Post #1
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

This only works for automatically generated fields like inserted_at and updated_at and if you manually set other datetime fields to DateTime.utc_now(). But if you have any other Elixir code that is not timezone-aware and it fetches time in the local timezone (or have a legacy DB with non-UTC datetimes in it) then you’re in for trouble.

Better to do all of these together:

  • Use utc_datetime type for datetime fields in your Ecto schema modules.
  • When setting times manually, always start with DateTime.utc_now() and/or do calculations with Elixir’s stdlib or timex, always making sure you use UTC.
  • If you have to work with an inherited legacy database, just make a one-off script to convert any non-UTC datetimes to UTC. It will save you a world of trouble in the future.
11
Post #2
wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Definitely use :utc_datetime_*. In hindsight, we wish we made that the default in Ecto but now we can’t due to backwards compatibility (and there are no plans for Ecto 4)

Here are some resources:

35
Post #3
itssasanka

itssasanka OP

Thank you all so much! this sums it up, once and for all !
So basically it’s just great that Ecto is enforcing saving DateTime values in utc with the utc_datetime, which I feel really positive about since it’s a standard development practice. I’ve seen no other library/framework enforcing it.

I made the following global changes to my Phoenix 1.5 app to use utc_datetime instead of naive_datetime by Ecto, both in schemas and migrations for anyone who may find it useful:

In config.exs, I added this:

config :myapp, MyApp.Repo, migration_timestamps: [type: :utc_datetime]

created a new schema.ex with the following code:

defmodule MyApp.Schema do
  defmacro __using__(_) do
    quote do
      use Ecto.Schema
      @timestamps_opts [type: :utc_datetime]
    end
  end
end

And in my models everywhere, I replaced use Ecto.Schema with use MyApp.Schema

And, done!

17
Post #4
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I do almost the same:

@timestamps_opts [type: :utc_datetime_usec]

You likely will have cases when you would need sub-second precision. Even if you never do I’d think this extra precision won’t cost you almost anything in terms of disk space.

henrik

henrik

I started with :utc_datetime but switched to :utc_datetime_usec just because it got annoying having to do DateTime.utc_now() |> DateTime.truncate(:second) every time. I don’t really need the precision but it seemed to be less friction for the stuff I’ve done so far.

10
Post #6
itssasanka

itssasanka OP

Sounds great! then I’ll make this change in my app to get rid of this friction, nothin’ much to lose here anyway.

daduam

daduam

Why was the migration_timestamps change in your config.exs necessary?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Because IIRC having inserted_at and updated_at being at a microsecond precision is not the default.

itssasanka

itssasanka OP

Because Ecto.SQL.Migration needs that configuration. AFAIK it is a different module from Ecto.Schema

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews