Houdini
Hello,
according to [plug/lib/plug/csrf_protection.ex at main · elixir-plug/plug · GitHub](http://csrf source code) csrf tokens are saved in process memory.
However I can open any form with generated csrf token, then restart server. After restart I can successfully submit that form and csrf token will be correct. How is that possible?
Process memory should be empty again.
Few more questions:
- How csrf tokens are invalidated?
- It sounds like we should setup some kind of ttl for csrf tokens.
- Is it possible to generate infinite number of tokens and fill up computer memory?
Thanks for answering my newbi questions ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
voltone
That refers to the temporary state during request processing that allows the CSRF token to be injected automatically in any form rendered in the response. It does not refer to the reference value against which the CSRF token value in the form is verified in subsequent requests. That reference value is stored in the session, e.g. in the session cookie or in whichever session store is configured.
They have the same lifespan as the session. So if a user keeps a form open and their session does not expire in some way, the form submission should succeed without a CSRF error. Unless the server explicitly resets the CSRF token value in the session (which is only effective if the session store is not the session cookie store, since it cannot modify the session that was already sent to the user’s browser).
This is why DB-backed session stores are often preferable to session cookies: they allow for server-side invalidation of the session (and, as part of that, the CSRF token) due to inactivity timeout or some master session timeout.
If you are referring to the CSRF token in the process dictionary, then no, because it is short-lived and is garbage collected when request processing completes and the process terminates.