yreuvekamp

yreuvekamp

I’m writing a function that does some simple checks to see if a (crypto) wallet address can be considered valid for the specific network (validity of this aside; it’s more of a quick check to catch mistakes)

What I need to check:

  1. Bech32 decode the provided address
  2. This should result in a human-readable part (hrp) and a public key
  3. The human-readable part should be either “rdx” or “tdx”
  4. The total length of the public key should be 34
  5. The first byte of the public key should be 4
  6. The second byte of the public key should be 2 or 3

I’ve had multiple variations of this and none of them feel right. I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions on how to best write this function.

This is what I had first:

  def is_valid_wallet?(wallet_address) do
    {:ok, hrp, <<first_byte, second_byte, _rest::binary-size(32)>>} =
      Bech32.decode(wallet_address)

    if hrp in ["rdx", "tdx"] and first_byte == 4 and second_byte in [2, 3] do
      true
    else
      false
    end
  end

Problem with that is that I want to return true or false, and the pattern match might already return an error and I’m not handling that case. Adding the handling for that feels like I’m doing double work.

This is what I have now:

  def is_valid_wallet?(wallet_address) do
    case Bech32.decode(wallet_address) do
      {:ok, hrp, <<first_byte, second_byte, _rest::binary-size(32)>>}
      when hrp in ["rdx", "tdx"] and first_byte == 4 and second_byte in [2, 3] ->
        true

      _ ->
        false
     end
  end

This will return true or false, but it looks messy to me :sweat_smile:

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Regrouping the steps like this:

  1. Bech32 decode the provided address
  2. This should result in a human-readable part (hrp) and a public key
  3. The human-readable part should be either “rdx” or “tdx”
  4. The public key should be valid
    • the total length of the public key should be 34
    • the first byte of the public key should be 4
    • the second byte of the public key should be 2 or 3

Gives code like this:

def is_valid_wallet?(wallet_address) do
  {:ok, hrp, pk} = Bech32.decode(wallet_address)

  hrp in ["rdx", "tdx"] and valid_public_key?(pk)
end

defp valid_public_key?(<<4, second, _rest::binary-size(32)>>) when second in [2, 3], do: true
defp valid_public_key?(_), do: false
yreuvekamp

yreuvekamp OP

That looks loads better, thanks! As far as I’m concerned I’m marking it as the solution, but if others want to pitch in, go ahead :slight_smile:

stevensonmt

stevensonmt

Might be a good candidate for a with statement:

def is_valid_wallet?(wallet_address) do
  with {:ok, hrp, pk} <- Bech32.decode(wallet_address),
    true <- hrp in ["rdx", "tdx"] 
  do
    valid_public_key?(pk)
  else
    _ -> false
  end 
    
end

defp valid_public_key?(<<4, second, _rest::binary-size(32)>>) when second in [2, 3], do: true
defp valid_public_key?(_), do: false
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews