Ookma-Kyi
During a Beam Dreamers meeting, I shared that I’m a PHP and Laravel developer, and someone jokingly referred to “PHP as a walking zombie.” They said the main reason it’s still popular is due to slow and bloated WordPress installations. They also jokingly, I assume, stated that if someone created WordPress in Elixir, that it would be awesome. I am wondering how difficult it would be to implement a simplistic version of it? From reading some threads, the biggest issue is implementing a plugin system. However I still would like to hear everyone’s input.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hlx
I always wondered if JS based plugins plus an API would be enough. As installable plugins that is. You won’t reach Wordpress level plugins where that can create whole tables and such but is that even necessary? Or perhaps the API can allow that?
Nefcairon
This comes up every now and then.
Read some comments here: Use Elixir to create the next Wordpress?
venkatd
I think it’s doable but not easy. By far what gives Wordpress such an advantage is the plugin ecosystem.
I think @hlx is spot on where plugins are probably best done in JS (typescript/react?) to tap into a larger community and reduce the learning curve for implementing something.
One should also not try to compete DIRECTLY with Wordpress. Better off having a smaller ecosystem of higher quality plugins and a smaller more focused product.
Think about Figma vs. Photoshop. Photoshop had a lot more features but Figma focused on doing a subset better – and just for web/app design.
Ookma-Kyi
How would I implement the plugin system in JS? I am halfway done with the course, and most of the remaining lessons deal with non-language stuff. So I would like to start practicing what I learned by doing small mini-projects to reinforce my learning. Here are exercises for Rust and here is Python’s version of that. I believe I saw others, but I can’t find them at the moment. Can anyone recommend some for Elixir?
olafura
There is GitHub - bragful/ephp: Bragful core: PHP Interpreter in pure Erlang · GitHub
victorbjorklund
I don’t see why Plugins would be an issue. BEAM got Hot Reloading and we can create new modules etc. So I don’t see why it would be hard to have plugins that are read in as new modules. The way plugins work and are designed would probably be a bit different since Elixir is a functional language etc.
I think the issue isn’t technical but rather that it would be almost impossible to compete with WP with thousands of plugins and themes since an elixir version would have a lot less. And most users won’t care about whether it is Elixir or PHP.
dimitarvp
Security really. WordPress was and likely still is one of the most attacked software on the planet. It takes just one malicious addon and your instance is toast, because the BEAM VM runtime is quite trusting. Zero sandboxing or any other security inside the node itself.
Yep. That. Agreed.
Ookma-Kyi
That applies to everything that as MineCraft was even susceptible to malware in the png used for setting players skin. Also many WP themes that encrypt their source code have been found to have malicious JavaScript code.
dimitarvp
The fact that most programmers are clueless as puppies when it comes to security does not mean that the rest of us must collectively give up. “It’s all frakked up anyway” is not a philosophy I subscribe under.
victorbjorklund
Yes, but that risk you also got every time you install a library too. Part of reason WP is so targeted is because it is so widely used.
(For the record, I’m not a fan of WP)