nietaki
Just a quick heads up: There seems to be a bug in Erlang/OTP 21.3, which can cause some errors when making http requests. If you’re using the official Elixir images that use Erlang/OTP 21 it might affect your app, because they got rebuilt with the latest version that contains the bug.
The quickest workaround is to instead of using FROM elixir:1.7.4 in your Dockerfile, replicate the elixir image layer and point it to an earlier image, for example 21.2.7:
FROM erlang:21.2.7
# elixir expects utf8.
ENV ELIXIR_VERSION="v1.7.4" \
LANG=C.UTF-8
RUN set -xe \
&& ELIXIR_DOWNLOAD_URL="https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/archive/${ELIXIR_VERSION}.tar.gz" \
&& ELIXIR_DOWNLOAD_SHA256="c7c87983e03a1dcf20078141a22355e88dadb26b53d3f3f98b9a9268687f9e20" \
&& curl -fSL -o elixir-src.tar.gz $ELIXIR_DOWNLOAD_URL \
&& echo "$ELIXIR_DOWNLOAD_SHA256 elixir-src.tar.gz" | sha256sum -c - \
&& mkdir -p /usr/local/src/elixir \
&& tar -xzC /usr/local/src/elixir --strip-components=1 -f elixir-src.tar.gz \
&& rm elixir-src.tar.gz \
&& cd /usr/local/src/elixir \
&& make install clean
CMD ["iex"]
Posting it here, because I know it affected more than just myself, might save some of you some time.
Trending in Guides/Tuts
I’ve spent some time understanding how to do hot code reloading with releases built using mix release, and here I’d like to detail the st...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
engineeringdept
Thanks - I got bit by this too. If you’re using Elixir 1.8.1, I made an image over here: tomtaylor/elixir - Docker Image (using this Dockerfile: GitHub - breakroom/elixir-docker-image · GitHub)
shanesveller
This is part of why treating specific Docker image tags as mutable is so dangerous. When I’m in front of a computer I can check if I still have the correct SHA256 image checksums for the prior version that used OTP 21.2.x, because I pin them in my FROM lines after experiences similar to this.
shanesveller
The historical version of the official image that included OTP 21.2.6 can be obtained by referring to this image syntax:
This syntax is compatible with, among others,
docker pull,docker run,FROMin a Dockerfile, and Kubernetes manifests. The checksum is output whenever you pull an image via the normaldocker pullCLI, and is also available after the fact viadocker inspect $imageIDunder theRepoDigestskey.You can bulk check your image tags and digests like this, which may catch historical copies that were untagged by a subsequent
pull:csoreff
Oh man, this was driving me crazy for days. Thanks.
krystofbe
Wir seeing errors like
Seems to be the bug which is decribed here
jchrist
Looks like OTP 21.3.1 was released but I can’t find release notes aside from the ones saying the
sslapp was changed. I might be blind thoughJudging from the commit log though, this was fixed? Has somebody tried their luck with 21.3.1?
garazdawi
You need to look at either the erlang-questions or erlang-announce mailing list. Or you can just check here: OTP Versions Tree.
snnowwy
And I have just avoided days of frustration thanks to @nietaki.
Legend.