nazevedo3

nazevedo3

Hi All,

I could use some help working with nested structures. I have this map:

%{
  tasks: [
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
  ]
}

I want to pass that map into function, along with an integer. If there’s a task with the same ID then the number that gets passed in, I want to update that map so that the “completed” field is changed to true and everything else is left unchanged.

Here’s what I have so far where I can update the map, but I’m not sure how to attach it back to the original list of maps.

 def complete_item(list, item_id)  do
  for items_in_list <- list[:tasks], Map.get(items_in_list, :id) == item_id, do: Map.put(items_in_list, :completed, true)
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello and welcome,

There are many ways to update/put a key in a map, Map.update, Map.put, Map.new/2, but in that particular case where You want to update an existing atom key in a map, You can use the form map = %{map | key: value}

You can do like this…

iex(1)> map = %{
  tasks: [
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
  ]
}
iex(2)> i = 1
iex(3)> map = %{map | tasks: Enum.map(map.tasks, fn 
  task when task.id==id -> %{task | completed: true}
  task -> task 
end)}
%{
  tasks: [
    %{completed: true, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
  ]
}
globalkeith

globalkeith

Another option is to use Kernel.update_in/3 which is intended to help with updating nested structures.

This will give you something to play with:

iex(1)> all = fn :get_and_update, data, next -> data |> Enum.map(next) |> Enum.unzip() end                                        
#Function<42.97283095/3 in :erl_eval.expr/5>
iex(2)> complete_item = fn list, id -> update_in(list, [:tasks, all], fn %{id: ^id} = t -> %{t | completed: true}; t -> t end) end
#Function<43.97283095/2 in :erl_eval.expr/5>
iex(3)> list = %{
...(3)>   tasks: [
...(3)>     %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
...(3)>     %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
...(3)>     %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
...(3)>   ]
...(3)> }
%{
  tasks: [
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
  ]
}
iex(4)> complete_item.(list, 2)
%{
  tasks: [
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 1, name: "walk the dog"},
    %{completed: true, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 2, name: "cook dinner"},
    %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", id: 3, name: "laundry"}
  ]
}
eksperimental

eksperimental

The way your list is structured is non-performant, because in order to find an ID you may have to traverse the whole list, and there could be duplicates.

If you convert tasks into a map being the map key the id of the task, you can do this much easier with (as @globalkeith suggested) Kernel.update_in/2 (note it is /2 in this case)

map = %{
  tasks: %{
    1 => %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", name: "walk the dog"},
    2 => %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", name: "cook dinner"},
    3 => %{completed: false, date_added: "3.18.2021", name: "laundry"}
  }
}

complete_item =
  fn(map, id) ->
    {_completed, update_map} = get_and_update_in(
      map[:tasks][id][:completed], fn completed -> {completed, true} end
    )
    update_map
  end

map = complete_item.(map, 1)

So your complete_item function could be rewritten like

def complete_item(map, id) do
  get_and_update_in(map[:tasks][id][:completed], &{&1, true})
  |> elem(1)
end
nazevedo3

nazevedo3 OP

Awesome, this is all really helpful, I appreciate it! @eksperimental - totally makes sense. I was considering changing the structure up because of that.

Thanks for the feedback!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews