Exadra37

Exadra37

I have stumbled accidentally in this repo:

https://github.com/ityonemo/pony_express

So, this left me wondering if the approach taken by @ityonemo to securely extend a Phoenix PuBSub over SSL with websockets couldn’t be used for the Erlang distribution mechanism itself?

For what I understand the current Erlang distribution has a bottleneck in the number of nodes that can be connected together due to the accumulation of all the requests for the gossip protocol and application data through the network, and this without using TLS.

When using TLS it becomes even slower due to the additional back and forth needed for the handshakes.

So, once websockets only need to do the handshake when establishing the connection I was wondering if using them would not increase throughput and the number of nodes that could be connected together?

Note: I know that is possible to overcome current limitations with specialized approaches, like for example the one described in this talk by a network engineer at Whats App.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ityonemo

ityonemo

I think the general problem is that erlang is using the gossip protocol as a way of achieving consensus for a lot of things like the :global locks. Also Pids are an overlay addressing system, so achieving consistency on that might be challenging, and maybe also causal ordering, for something based on PubSub messaging. Does erlang distribution over TLS not use persistently open connections? I imagine it does, because I think erlang distribution over TCP does.

You may also be interested in the partisan project which I think does more directly address these issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwhOkiifQ8

and (self-promotion) if you like pony_express you might also like the erps package :wink:

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

I have no idea, because I am still a beginner in the Elixir/Erlang world, despite the time I am playing with it I never used it in production. We will need to wait for somebody else to confirm your assumption :wink:

I already saw that talk in the last year and is contagious the enthusiasm of the presenter. Anyway thanks for remembering me of it.

Nice to know about it, and I would place the intro from this page into the intro for the current landing page.

I was about to close the browser tab when I finally found an explanation for what the package was for :wink:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews