Petr

Petr

There is an example in Ash Framework of adding a resource Album into Music domain
mix ash.gen.resource Tunez.Music.Album --extend postgres. It generates a new module Album and modifies Music module – adding the Album into the domain.

I wondered if it would be possible to rather have a compile-time function (macro-ish) that would replace itself this one time during compilation and modify other modules as needed? It would allow developers not to deal with CLI but just use Elixir functions instead in the IDE environment having its usual features (docs, autocompletion, etc.)

To make it a bit more clear, I am imagining something like:

  • Add add_resource "Artist", extend: "postgres" in the defmodule Tunez.Music.
  • During compilation, add_resource would get called replacing itself and modifying Tunez.Music module, and creating Tunez.Music.Artist module
    • It would add resource Tunez.Music.Artist in the resources do ... block.
  • Which means it would have to recompile Tunez.Music after the function add_resource was executed and add Tunez.Music.Artist to the compilation queue.

What do I expect? To hear where this idea breaks down and to learn something new from that about Elixir. (Or possibly, how to achieve this.)

Why am I asking: I am exploring Elixir and its ecosystem and libraries (looks all very promising). I like to learn about languages/frameworks by trying to push at their limits. I would like to have the natural Elixir interface to generate the code instead of dealing with CLI tools myself.

If feasible, I would try to do this to get my hands dirty.

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I think it would be technically doable, but would be relatively complex, and might be able to be done better via things like editor snippets etc. but yeah a macro could call arbitrary code at compile time, including code that replaces it in its own source file.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Wouldn’t even need to be a macro. When there’s no AST to be replaced with other AST it could potentially even be a function call. Though not sure how much “context” one gets about where exactly a call originated to replace that line.

Should also be quick to “validate”

# lib/commands.ex
Mix.Task.run("ash.gen.resource", ["Tunez.Music.Album", "--extend", "postgres"])

File.write(__ENV__.file, File.stream!(__ENV__.file, :line) |> Enum.at(-1))
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews