tanweerdev

tanweerdev

I am trying to write a plug which will generate a custom error if the request has malformed JSON which is quite often the case in our scenarios(as we use variables in postman. eg sometimes there is no quote outside the value and it results in malformed JSON). The only help I got is Redirecting to Google Groups which isnt working of course.

defmodule PogioApi.Plug.PrepareParse do
  import Plug.Conn
  @env Application.get_env(:application_api, :env)

  def init(opts) do
    opts
  end

  def call(conn, opts) do
    %{method: method} = conn
    # TODO: check for PUT aswell
    if method in ["POST"] and not(@env in [:test]) do
      {:ok, body, _conn} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn)
      case Jason.decode(body) do
        {:ok, _result} -> conn
        {:error, _reason} ->
          error = %{message: "Malformed JSON in the body"}
          conn
          |> put_resp_header("content-type", "application/json; charset=utf-8")
          |> send_resp(400, Jason.encode!(error))
          |> halt
      end
    else
      conn
    end
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

How to read and parse body properly. I know in POST, we will always get format=JSON request

NobbZ

NobbZ

That will read the body, if it hasn’t been read before, eg by Plug.Parsers.

After you have read the body, you should put the parsed data somewhere in the conn, or it will be lost.

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

my current state of plug

defmodule PogioApi.Plug.PrepareParse do
  import Plug.Conn
  @env Application.get_env(:application_api, :env)

  def init(opts) do
    opts
  end

  def call(conn, _opts) do
    %{method: method} = conn
    if method in ["POST"] and not(@env in [:test]) do
      {:ok, body, _conn} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn)
      case Jason.decode(body) do
        {:ok, _result} ->
          private = Map.put(conn.private, :body, body)
          %{conn | private: private}
        {:error, _reason} ->
          error = %{message: "Malformed JSON in the body"}
          conn
          |> put_resp_header("content-type", "application/json; charset=utf-8")
          |> send_resp(400, Jason.encode!(error))
          |> halt
      end
    else
      conn
    end
  end
end

I am trying to put back the body I read but not successful. Reference: How do you put a request body in a Plug.Conn? - #2 by idi527

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

I am calling parser after my custom plug. So I need to put back body which I have read so that nothing else got effected

NobbZ

NobbZ

What do you mean by “not successful”?

Do you get an error? Is your plug not called at all? Can you give a repo with a minified, but mix phx.serverable project?

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

means request body is not passed to Plug.Parsers as its already been read by my custom plug

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

Maybe this will clear my question a little bit more

NobbZ

NobbZ

Correct. Thats impossible.

There can only be one plug that calls Plug.Conn.read_body/2:

Because the request body can be of any size, reading the body will only work once, as Plug will not cache the result of these operations. If you need to access the body multiple times, it is your responsibility to store it. Finally keep in mind some plugs like Plug.Parsers may read the body, so the body may be unavailable after being accessed by such plugs.

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

if there is a way to override Plug.Parsers.ParseError that will solve my issue too

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews