radar

radar

Recently I’ve been reading Writing an interpreter in Go, but have been writing the code in Elixir instead, because I prefer Elixir’s syntax to Go’s.

I’d thought I share it here because others might be interested in what such a thing could look like in Elixir – although my code isn’t “perfect”. I’ve also been cribbing bits from a more complete implementation by fabrik42 too. But I’ve been trying to figure stuff out myself first.

I can imagine that you could possibly adapt this to things like writing a Markdown interpreter / parser too.

I don’t know how far I’ll get through the book, but it has been an interesting exercise so far to see how the code between the two languages translates, as well as it being my first time building anything like this. I usually spend my time in web-app land.

Anyway, thought it would be of interest to the forum :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zinclozenge

zinclozenge

Nice, I was thinking of doing the same in Rust. How do you like the book?

radar

radar OP

The book has explained things pretty well so far in the 40 or so pages that I’ve read. He has a conversational writing style that I can appreciate. He writes some code and then explains what it all does.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews