thousandsofthem

thousandsofthem

Trying to write good elixir code.

Input:

data = %{"a" => 0, "b" => 2, "c" => 0, "evilkey" => 666}

for specific keys i need to write some specific output if condition is true

Ruby version:

out = []
out << "text1" if data["a"] > 0
out << "text2" if data["b"] > 0
out << "text3" if data["c"] > 0
out

Ugly elixir version:

out = []
out = if data["a"] > 0 do
  out ++ ["text1"]
else
  out
end
...
...
out

Good elixir version: ???

Any thoughts here?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

taiansu

taiansu

A more functional apporach

output_texts = %{
  "a" => "text1",
  "b" => "text2",
  "c" => "text3",
}

out = data
      |> Enum.filter(fn {_, v} -> v > 0 end)
      |> Enum.filter(fn {k, _} -> Enum.member(Map.keys(output_texts), k) end)
      |> Enum.map(fn {k, _} -> output_texts[k] end)
      |> Enum.join()
michalmuskala

michalmuskala

You can do that by using if as an expression and assembling list of values finally concatenating them together:

IO.iodata_to_binary([
  if(data["a"] > 0, do: "text1", else: ""),
  if(data["b"] > 0, do: "text2", else: ""),
  if(data["c"] > 0, do: "text3", else: "")
])

You could even extract the if to a separate function, if the pattern if very repeating:

defp if_positive(value, text), do: if(value > 0, do: text, else: "")

IO.iodata_to_binary([
  if_positive(data["a"], "text1"),
  if_positive(data["b"], "text2"),
  if_positive(data["c"], "text3")
])
thousandsofthem

thousandsofthem OP

Thanks!

The solution with filters and map look about right.

Re: IO.iodata_to_binary thing - i can’t just put things together this way, but overall it looks good, just need to add |> Enum.filter(fn(x) -> !is_nil(x) end), i.e.

[
  (if data["a"] > 0, do: "text1"),
  (if data["b"] > 0, do: "text2"),
  (if data["c"] > 0, do: "text3")
] |> Enum.filter(fn(x) -> !is_nil(x) end)
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe
data
|> Enum.filter(&match?({_, v} when v > 0, &1))
|> Enum.map(fn 
  {"a", _} -> "text1"
  {"b", _} -> "text2"
  {"c", _} -> "text3"
end)
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Also because nobody has mentioned this yet, the “ugly elixir version” is not actually an elixir version. It would not work at all because out is immutable.

thousandsofthem

thousandsofthem OP

It will, there are re-assignment for out:

out = if ...
  out ++ ...
else
  out
end

so every consequent out is different variable

NobbZ

NobbZ

We do not have any guarantee of ordering in a map. So in theory the begs pour of this snippet is non deterministic, while in the OPs version we do have an explicit ordering of the keys and their transformation/concatenation into the result.

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

I know people love |> but you don’t have to use it:

:maps.fold(fn (k,v,acc) when v > 0 -> acc ++ [output_texts[k]]
              (_,_,acc) -> acc
           end, [], data)

There is probably a function equivalent to fold in Enum but it is called something else and I could not immediately see it, hence using the one in :maps.

thousandsofthem

thousandsofthem OP

Yeah, in my use-case ordering guarantees are required so maps don’t work (but for someone else it could be better approach). also there are other non-related keys as well (which should be filtered out)

plain [..., ..., ...] |> remove nils works just fine - ordering granaries, short and easy to read code

NobbZ

NobbZ

It’s called reduce and is a left fold AFAIR

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews