Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a test that defines modules which use a behaviour. To save some typing I am using an alias for the behaviour module when I use it in my tests. However the compiler doesn’t see it and plasters my screen with unused warnings.

Code


defmodule MyApp.DispatcherTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  # Contract 
  alias MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend
  
  # SUT
  alias MyApp.Dispatcher

  test "calls request_fn with the correct parameters" do

    defmodule MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.MissTest do
      @behaviour Backend

      @impl Backend
      def match(_params), do: false

      @impl Backend
      def url(_params), do: "/bfg_division"
    end

    defmodule MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.HitTest do
      @behaviour Backend

      @impl Backend
      def match(_params), do: true

      @impl Backend
      def url(_params), do: "/family_jules"
    end

    defmodule MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.HitTest2 do
      @behaviour Backend

      @impl Backend
      def match(_params), do: true

      @impl Backend
      def url(_params), do: "/comatose"
    end

    params = %{}
    test_pid = self()
    deps = [
      backends: [
        MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.HitTest,
        MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.HitTest2,
        MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.MissTest
      ],
      request: fn(name, url) ->
        send(test_pid, {:fire, {name, url}})
        {:ok, :received}
      end
    ]

    Dispatcher.send(params, deps)

    expected_name = :hit_test
    expected_url = "/family_jules"
    assert_receive {:fire, {^expected_name, ^expected_url}}

    expected_name2 = :hit_test2
    expected_url2 = "/comatose"
    assert_receive {:fire, {^expected_name2, ^expected_url2}}
  end

end

Inside the test I have 3 test modules (MissTest, HitTest, HitTest2), which implement the behaviour Backend. Each module implements 2 functions to comply with the contract of the behaviour.

Problem

The problem is that every time I run mix test I get this warning plastered onto my screen:

warning: unused alias Backend
  test/myapp/dispatcher_test.exs:4

Which is not true. To prove it, if I actually remove the line alias MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend then I get even more warnings, stating that behaviour Backend doens’t exist or is not specified.

Questions

  1. Why am I getting this warning?
  2. How can I fix it?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zwippie

zwippie

I guess this is what’s happening:

You are defining your test backend modules within MyApp.DispatcherTest, so their final name is something like MyApp.DispatcherTest.MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.MissTest, not MyApp.Dispatcher.Backend.MissTest.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

And how would this confuse the compile exactly ?
Surely, if that was the case the tests should fail, because I am passing the modules directly into Dispatcher.send and it wouldn’t even compile, right ?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

This is a (non-solvable) limitation in how the compiler detects that aliases are used. Once that file is compiled, the Backend has indeed not been used, because the other modules are only defined (and their contents only executed) when the test runs.

You have two options:

  1. Pass warn: false to the alias
  2. Move your module definition outside of the test and inside the module body
Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Thank you so much for your reply.
One final question.

Does this mean, in your opinion, that I am using a anti-pattern in my tests? Am I structuring my code so bad that I am hitting a compiler limitation? (Does this raise any flags to you?)

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I personally don’t think it is a bad flag, it is fine. But you can also move the modules out and the behaviour should be the same, so I would rather do that rather than use the warn: false flag, if that makes any sense.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

The issue I have with putting the modules outside is that as I add more tests and as I need more fake modules that implement the contract, I will end up with big pile of lose modules in my test suite that don’t connect clearly to any test I have - this is why I create the modules inside the test, this way all my tests are self contained.

I can always put the alias inside each module, that also works though. Thanks for chipping in!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Do all those modules also have different names? If not I’d consider that an issue, as modules are defined globally on the beam and not per test. If they indeed have unique names then you have a clear connection between test and module.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

This is a good question. My SUT receives a list of modules that obey a given contract. The SUT then makes calls to those modules.

Ideally I would have each test with 1 or 2 modules that would be the same. But I can’t do that because module names Elixir have to be unique (they are global as you said) so I end up have 2 or 3 tests where I have modules with dumb names like MyApp.Test1, MyApp.Test2 and so on, even if the tests are independent between each other (I cannot repeat a module name in any other test once it was used in a single test because I get the redefining module warning).

Ninigi

Ninigi

Would it make sense in this case to have one TestBackend module and do the implementation with Mox? You would pass the same module multiple times though, I don’t know if that would makes things clearer, or more obscure.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Not a bad idea, but since I need several modules (several mox) I would have to still define them separately:

Mox.defmock(MyApp.MissTest, for: MyApp.Calculator)
Mox.defmock(MyApp.HitTest, for: MyApp.Calculator)
Mox.defmock(MyApp.HitTest2, for: MyApp.Calculator)

In the end, I would still end up with the same dummy names problem, but on the flip side I would have less lines of code :smiley:

Interesting suggestion!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews