whatyouhide

whatyouhide

Elixir Core Team

Hey all,

earlier today @lexmag and I released the first version of Xandra, a Cassandra driver built natively in Elixir. We’re very excited and we hope you’re gonna enjoy it!

Andrea and Aleksei

Showing Posts 1 to 7

lexmag

lexmag

Hi everyone,

Recently we have released new version of the driver that supports clustering.

Right now we use it in all components of the push notification system mentioned in the “The Pursuit of Instant Pushes” article.
Using Xandra resulted in 30% boost in push notification delivery time.

Aleksei and Andrea

whatyouhide

whatyouhide OP

Elixir Core Team

Quick update: we just released v0.4.0 of the driver, which supports retry strategies to retry failed queries. Exciting times!

Andrea and Aleksei

lexmag

lexmag

Since the last update we have released few more versions of the driver (v0.7 is the most recent) with great changes:

  • Support for date, time, smallint, and tinyint types
  • Support for user-defined types
  • Support for authentication
  • Important encoding and decoding optimisations (around 35% speedup)

:rocket:

whatyouhide

whatyouhide OP

Elixir Core Team

Hey folks,

we released version v0.9.0 of Xandra which adds native support for datetime data types and optimizes decoding even more. If you’re interested you can check out the full CHANGELOG.

idi527

idi527

Hi!

Thanks for the library, @whatyouhide @lexmag!

Have you considered using other libraries before writing your own, for example, lpgauth/marina?
Was it a lack of features that made you write your own or maybe something else?

I’m trying to pick a library to use to interface with scylladb, and there are just too many choices …

whatyouhide

whatyouhide OP

Elixir Core Team

Heyo, we used cqerl initially but we were not satisfied with it because of performance, maintainability, documentation, and the poor error messages it kept spitting out. I was not aware of marina personally but I bet @lexmag was, but we went with our own to have 1. a pure Elixir solution 2. based on DBConnection (which in turn means great and extensible pooling) which could 3. be fast, modern, and extensible.

Also, since you’re mentioning scylladb, it would be awesome if you ended up trying Xandra with it and could report if everything works fine. In case you do end up trying them together, please take the time to clone the source code for Xandra and run the Xandra test suite against ScyllaDB :slight_smile: Related: Verify that Scylla works with the driver · Issue #112 · whatyouhide/xandra · GitHub.

lexmag

lexmag

Hey!

We have indeed considered existing libraries before writing our own. Best options were CQErl and marina.

As @whatyouhide said, we went with CQErl to have our project moving forward.
Though its performance was far from desired for our use case, error messages that come from internals did not help, its dependency configuration was extremely painful: Git instead of Hex (we even discovered that one the dependencies changes actual Git ref during Makefile execution—what you see is not what you get). In fact, we end up with a fork.
We could (and were considering to) fix all those aforementioned issues, but that amount of work would mean that we are basically writing a new driver. Also it felt that starting from scratch will be faster to get things done.

Marina seems alright (still Git dependencies though). However it lacks some substantial features, batch queries in our case.

The day we switched to Xandra we got minimum 30% performance improvement and were able to simplify the code around error handling.
Since then Xandra received many optimizations (~35% faster decoding, for example), native support for calendar data types, and streaming functionality out of the box.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews