NullOranje

NullOranje

While working on a work project, I found I needed a more Elixir-like queue versus the Erlang :queue module. So I decided to write one. I liked what I did, so I’m sharing it with others.

Yaq (Yet another queue) is a double-ended queue that supports both the Enumerable and Collectable protocols. I wanted something I could use with the pipe operator, since with my use case I found myself having to write a lot of functions to make :queue work correctly.

This is my first library I’m sharing with the community. I not only wanted a library I could use in my day job, but something I could take an opportunity to learn how to “do things right” so with regards to Elixir.

Source code is available on Github: GitHub - NullOranje/yaq: Yet another queue module for Elixir · GitHub
Hex package: yaq | Hex
Documentation: API Reference — yaq v1.2.0

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

I get a 404 for the GitHub repository.

Also from the examples in the documentation, I really do not like that its inspection shows the length of the queue but not the contents…

Oh, and I just realise, Yaq.value/0 is nil | term, term includes nil, so why is nil mentioned extra here?

Why is there no Yaq.t/1 which would allow us to specify the members types as well?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Congratulations on your first library, its a big milestone and will be much appreciated I’m sure. I’ll check it out. @NobbZ is more direct and to the point than I am and his feedback is always very valuable, if sometimes a bit abrupt.

NobbZ

NobbZ

I really should try polishing this :smiley:

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Thank you for sharing your work. By the way, are there other libraries like yaq? If so, what are the main differences?

What happened to the GitHub repo?

Isn’t it interesting to know whether the passed atom may be expected to be nil or not?

NobbZ

NobbZ

What if is I want to store nil? Is that not allowed?

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Sorry, in this specific case it makes no sense to me too. I thought you meant as a general rule that nil | term is useless, as term includes nil; but I thought maybe sometimes it is useful to know that the library can expect nil.
Again, in this case I don’t see why this needs to be clarified indeed.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Yes, I’m pretty sure a @typedoc would help.

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hmm, seems very similar to Qex. Have you tried that one?

NullOranje

NullOranje OP

That’s my fault. The repo is public now.

This was a deliberate choice. I can show the size of the

It probably shouldn’t be.

Mostly because I’m still figuring out how typespecs work.

This is probably an artifact of some thinking. The :queue module I drew inspiration from returned an :empty atom if you tried to dequeue an empty list. I guess I didn’t like the specific atom, so I think that’s why it became a nil. My own limited knowledge probably had me explicitly describe this case.

Thinking back, I’m wondering if an atom would be a better empty queue return value.

NullOranje

NullOranje OP

I did, but because it is mostly wrapper for :quque, it has some of the same issues. :quque (deliberately) does not track the size of the queue, so that is an O(N) operation, which was too slow for my use case.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews