dorgan
Someone in the Elixir’s Discord guild needed a parser for yarn lock files, and I wanted to try and learn parser combinators, so I wrote a yarn lock files parser
hex.pm
Documentation
GitHub repo
Example usage:
iex> input =
"""
# Some comment
# yarn lockfile v1
key1, key2:
val1 true
subkey1:
val2 123
"""
iex> {:ok, parsed} = YarnParser.decode(input)
iex> parsed
{:ok,
%{
"comments" => ["# Some comment", "# yarn lockfile v1"],
"key1" => %{
"val1" => true,
"subkey1" => %{
"val2" => 123
}
},
"key2" => %{
"val1" => true,
"subkey1" => %{
"val2" => 123
}
}
}
}
iex> YarnParser.get_version(parsed)
1
It currently doesn’t handle merge conflicts like the original parser and I need to improve error messages(mostly regarding invalid indentation).
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dorgan
I published version 0.3.0, it renames
YarnParser.parsetoYarnParser.decodeand adds encoding functionality:ryanzidago
What are te use cases for parsing lockfiles in general?
dorgan
I did not ask what they needed it for, but from what I’ve read, some people parse them to gather dependencies from multiple projects or languages, but I don’t know what is done then.
Things like dependabot come to mind.
axelson
It could also be used to generate a bill of materials like the one used in SBoM - Mix task to generate a Software Bill-of-Materials (SBoM)
kitplummer
I’m pretty sure I know who it was that was looking to parse a yarn.lock file.
I’ve been building some tooling to support analysis of dependencies in different language ecosystems as part of a research project. I asked a student to look into it - as both an exercise in understanding the “lock” model, as well as digging into parsers and behaviours in Elixir. We’ve been using the YarnParser, which works great.
dorgan
Version 0.4.0 was published
It turns out Yarn 2 now uses YAML instead of their own format, so now YarnParser uses
YamlElixirto parse newer lockfiles. Version detection is automatic.There was also a change in the API, the decode function returns a
YarnLockstruct that holds lockfilemetadataanddependencies. It should be easier to get the lockfile’s version and other stuff now.