YGO — Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game API for Elixir

Hello guys!

So I was very curious for how the process of publishing packages for Hex actually was, so I decided to make my own. ygo is an Elixir wrapper for a Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game API. This wrapper has some of the following features:

• Search any card from more than 10k+ released cards (Including OCG with English translation).
  • Card Set information searching.
  • Fuzzy search for related name searching.
  • Search by archetypes.

This wrapper is mainly aimed for the following users:

1. Old nostalgic players from the game /show.
  2. Hobby shop owners interested in Elixir for cards fetching.
  3. Anyone who likes giving feedback to open-source projects just for the sake of making better software.

It would be great if you guys could check the lib, give some feedback even if you are not interested in trading card games at all, I will appreciate it a lot :smiley:. It is my first published package, so I’m sure there’s huge room for improvement. Please take a look at the README or the docs and let me know what you think!

—Christian Tovar

6 Likes

Hey, just some feedback since you asked. I am by no means an expert but this is what I see:

You repeat this pattern a lot in your code:

case get!(@endpoint_url, [], params: %{setcode: set}) do
      %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body} ->
        Jason.decode(body)

%HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 400, body: body} ->
        {:error, Jason.decode!(body)["error"]}
    end

So I would recommend defining a helper function somewhere and pipe all your get or get! calls into that. Something like this

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: %{"data" => data}}}) do
    {:ok, data}
  end

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body}}) do
    {:ok, body}
  end

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 400, body: body}}) do
    {:ok, body["error"]}
  end

defp handle_response({:error, error}) do
    {:error, error}
  end

Allowing you to call it from your function as below. I changed get! to get, not for any reason in particular, only because that is what I had in mind when I wrote the helpers above. I also extracted the Jason.decode call into one of the callbacks provide by HTTPoison.

def process_response_body(body) do
    Jason.decode!(body)
  end

def get_card_set_information(set) do
    get(@endpoint_url, [], params: %{setcode: set})
    |> handle_response()
  end

Finally, this may be overkill, but I have been reading about macros lately and so I wanted to see if I could dynamically generate all the functions for the API and thought it may be of interest.

In the Ygo module below, I iterate over the list of @endpoint_arities and use unquote fragments to dynamically generate the associated functions. I only tested a couple endpoint and it seemed to work fine. Note in this version some of the expected arguments have changed, i.e. in Ygo.get_card_set_info you have to pass in a map like %{setcode: setcode}.

I’m not saying you should do it this way, but between dynamically generating the functions and adding the handle_response helper, the result is much less code.

defmodule Ygo.API do
  use HTTPoison.Base

@base_url "https://db.ygoprodeck.com/api/v7/"

def process_request_url(url) do
    @base_url <> url
  end

def process_response_body(body) do
    Jason.decode!(body)
  end
end

defmodule Ygo do
  @endpoint_arities [
    archetypes: 1,
    card_info: 1,
    card_sets_info: 1,
    card_sets: 0,
    random_card: 0
  ]

for {endpoint, arity} <- @endpoint_arities do
    function = "get_#{endpoint}" |> String.to_atom()
    case arity do
      1 ->
        def unquote(function)(params) do
          unquote(endpoint)
          |> format_endpoint()
          |> Ygo.API.get([], params: params)
          |> handle_response()
        end

0 ->
        def unquote(function)() do
          unquote(endpoint)
          |> format_endpoint()
          |> Ygo.API.get()
          |> handle_response()
        end
    end
  end

defp format_endpoint(endpoint) do
    endpoint
    |> Atom.to_string()
    |> String.replace("_", "")
    |> Kernel.<>(".php")
  end

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: %{"data" => data}}}) do
    {:ok, data}
  end

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body}}) do
    {:ok, body}
  end

defp handle_response({:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 400, body: body}}) do
    {:ok, body["error"]}
  end

defp handle_response({:error, error}) do
    {:error, error}
  end
end
5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I think it was very accurate, there were definitely some patterns that were very repetitive. So I added a new module for dealing exclusively with those HTTP requests, which are no longer repeated for every endpoint module. Here’s the library again if anyone wants to give it a shot:

1 Like