Your favourite programming books

Regardless of language, what are you favourite programming books?

Very interested in hearing the favourites of @josevalim, @chrismccord and @rvirding :003:

2 Likes

I haven’t completed any Elixir books yet… but here some of my favourites to date.

Design Patterns in Ruby by Russ Olsen. Russ is an amazing writer and this book is timeless if you are interested in Ruby - it doesn’t teach you Ruby, but shows you how you can use it.

The Well Grounded Rubyist by David A Black. I loved this book because it is very well structured and everything you encounter is explained properly. I learnt the nuts and bolts of Ruby with this book.

Learn To Program by Chris Pine is a lovely introduction to programming (and OOP). It is the book that made me feel like I wasn’t too thick to learn programming! If you know anyone interested in programming, point them to this book - it’s really really good.

Eloquent Ruby - another gem by Russ Olsen! I was taking so many notes when reading this that I just stopped and said I’d simply re-read the whole book again as it is full of great tips and best practices.

4 Likes

Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold (one of my favorite intros to both Hardware and Software)

5 Likes

Code Complete by Steve McConnell
The Ruby Programming Language By David Flanagan, Yukihiro Matsumoto
Have both of them in hardcopy and unfortunately in different language than English, but still love them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Programming Logic and Design by Joyce Farrell

3 Likes

Threaded Interpretive Languages by R.G. Loeliger
The C Programming Language, first edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs by Niklaus Wirth
Artificial Intelligence by Patrick Henry Winston
LISP by Patrick Henry Winston and Berthold Horn
Programming in Prolog by William Clocksin, Christopher S. Mellish
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman
etc

And of course Concurrent Programming in Erlang by Joe Armstrong, Robert Virding and Mike Williams :grin:

8 Likes

Code should definitely be mandatory reading for a programmer. It pulls off the covers of hardware magic.

2 Likes