qwerescape
Could you share your way of formatting EEx templates? Say if I want to render a list of lists: list_of_lists = [[1,2],[3,4],[5,6]], I’ve seen several ways:
- indent every control statement and markup
<section>
<%= for list <- @list_of_lists do %>
<ol>
<%= for number <- list %>
<li><%= number %></li>
<% end %>
</ol>
<% end %>
</section>
- indent only the markup, align the control statements with the parent markup:
<section>
<%= for list <- @list_of_lists do %>
<ol>
<%= for number <- list %>
<li><%= number %></li>
<% end %>
</ol>
<% end %>
</section>
I see pros and cons of both. First way seems to be easier to read because it looks like a stack, but the inner most line can get really long due to the indentation, and the for comprehension isn’t really a child of the parent tag..Second way doesn’t generate long lines, also if you ignore the “non-html” code, the markups look like they have the right structure, but it is a little harder to read because my eyes has to go zigzag.
What do you think?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Matt
In my opinion, the right way is your way. Whichever way makes you feel more satisfied with what you wrote. My personal preference is the first option. It flows better and easier to read. It used to bother me that it produced extra spaces, but I rarely read the final raw HTML. During debugging the HTML I would review would be through Firefox’s inspector pane.