ghoetker

ghoetker

There has been a lot of discussion about GUIs and it will be incredibly cool to have Boyd Multerer’s Scenic framwork when he releases it. In the interim (or perhaps for simpler tasks), I’ve discovered that Zenity is actually not half bad to use. Not pretty, but functional. Although originally for Linux, a Mac version available from MacPorts. Not having found any mention of it by searching for Forums, I wanted to share in case anyone else might find it useful.

By “discovered”, I mean that I found Andrei Clinciu’s great post at https://andreiclinciu.net/article/zenity-gui-for-elixir/ and the links therein. Just to give a flavor, here is an example that takes a list of keywords, ensures they are unique and in alphabetic order, presents the list to the user as a check list and then returns the checked words as a list.

My example is more brute force that Andrei’s because some of the arguments to be sent required quotes and I was having a terrible time getting that to work (I am very much a beginner at Elixir and not primarily a developer.)

The desired command to be sent is as follows:

/opt/local/bin/zenity --list --checklist --column "Delete?" --column "Keywords" --separator=":" "FALSE" "Cat" "FALSE" "Furry dog" "FALSE" "Horse" 2>/dev/null

which I built programmatically and then just passed to Port.open as a blob. Zenity sometimes emits an irritating GTK+ warning, which I’d chosen to sent to /dev/null for simplicity. Obviously, in real use, kw_input would come from some external source.

Even I can tell that the structure of this example is horrid, but I hope it illustrates the Zenity-specific aspects adequately. Sometimes it’s nice to just be able to kludge a shell command together for what you need.

Would love to hear of other alternatives, especially for low-complexity use cases like this.

Glenn

defmodule Zenity do
  @zenity "/opt/local/bin/zenity"

  def do_it do
    kw_input = ["Cat", "Furry Dog", "Cat", "Horse"]

    kw_for_cmd =
      kw_input
      |> MapSet.new()
      |> Enum.sort()
      |> Enum.flat_map(fn x -> [~s("FALSE"), ~s("#{x}")] end)
      |> Enum.join(" ")

    cmds =
      ~s(#{@zenity} --list --checklist --column "Delete?" --column "Keywords" --separator=":" #{kw_for_cmd} 2>/dev/null)

    exec(cmds)
  end

  defp exec(cmd) do
    port = Port.open({:spawn, cmd}, [:stream, :binary, :exit_status, :hide, :use_stdio])

    port
    |> handle_output
    |> listify
  end

  defp handle_output(port, data \\ "") do
    receive do
      {^port, {:data, data}} ->
        handle_output(port, data)

      {^port, {:exit_status, status}} ->
        {data, status}
    end
  end

  defp listify({_, 1}) do
    IO.puts("Operation cancelled")
  end

  defp listify({"", 0}) do
    IO.puts("Nothing selected")
  end

  defp listify({kw_list, 0}) do
    kw_list
    |> String.trim_trailing("\n")
    |> String.split(":")
  end

end

Zenity.do_it

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Andrei

Andrei

Hi there.
I’m glad you’re using Zenity together with Elixir.
That blog post attracted a lot more visitors than I had anticipated which is great.

Zenity is cool for fast prototyping, the sad part is that it’s development has stopped.

I recommend newcomers to try yad out (YAD download | SourceForge.net), it’s a Zenity fork.

It provides more flexibility and way more options than Zenity ever did.

Good luck in developing!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews