riccardomanfrin

riccardomanfrin

Hi,

I made this simple weekend project for not having to integrate with things like certibot or acmev2.sh (which btw the project is heavily inspired from).

Besides the crude acmev2 ciphering exchange boilerplate, the library also automatically renews the certificate before the expiration and notifies the application to give it the opportunity to restart anything based on the just renewed certificate.

In short, integrating this library makes an application run on valid certificates indefinitely.

I suppose it would be cool to add letsencrypt and friends .. anyhow, link:

https://github.com/riccardomanfrin/zerossl

The http port to serve the well-known token is hardcoded to port 80, so you need permissions to open port 80 on your device:

sudo echo -en "net.ipv4.ip_unprivileged_port_start=80" > /etc/sysctl.d/port80.conf

If it gets good feedback I can add a config to use a different port so that users can NAT requests to a less contended, non privileged port like 8080 etc..

Cheers & happy new year

Showing Posts 1 to 4

hauleth

hauleth

Some thoughts/questions:

  • Why not support multiple certificates?
  • As it implements ACMEv2, then why it is limited only to ZeroSSL provider? Why not support any host.
  • Why it listens on port 80 on it’s own instead of allowing user to start this on their own which would allow starting this behind reverse proxy or with socket activation to not need extra privileges.
riccardomanfrin

riccardomanfrin OP

As I wrote it’s a weekend project. I can dedicate some spare time if other ppl like it, but it’s very possible an equivalent library exists already and I just accidentally missed it (have I?).

riccardomanfrin

riccardomanfrin OP

Fwiw, i’ve added Letsencrypt support and configurable port/address.

I’ve had a shallow check at the two projects you reported. I suppose they are fine but they bring in quite few elefants in the room (phoenix/ecto/cowboy/tesla/opentelemetry).

Also, the second one doesn’t seem to manage renewal for you, and you’ll have to get into orders/challenges etc.. with mine it’s as easy as setting the 4 lines of config and go.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews