Zoombie processes or something similar?

I have a phoenix app. From time to time I’ll face with the situations like this:

$ ps aux
===>

user1    67297   0.0  0.2  13240  1860  -  S    Thu07       0:03.00 /usr/home/user1/my_projects/project1/erts-10.3.5.19/bin/epmd -daemon

Then I’ll try to stop it

$ MIX_ENV=prod ./bin/project1 stop
--rpc-eval : RPC failed with reason :nodedown

Why does it say that it’s down, first of all?

Nevertheless, it’ll still remain up:

$ ps aux
===>

user1    67297   0.0  0.2  13240  1860  -  S    Thu07       0:03.00 /usr/home/user1/my_projects/project1/erts-10.3.5.19/bin/epmd -daemon

What’s the matter?

P.S. generally, there’re 3 or so processes that have to do with a project, although in my question there’s only 1. In this case I’ve already killed 2 of them manually by “kill”. However, this hasn’t solved this issue.

Epmd is the Erlang Port Mapper Daemon. It is natural that one instance is running on your system and it’s not directly related to any one of your projects. Rather whichever is started first will start epmd also. It’s also why it says your project is stopped when you tried that command, your project is actually stopped but epmd is running.

Unless there are multiple epmd processes starting and never closing down, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you configure your release to disable distribution, then it possibly won’t start epmd, but I don’t remember the configure flags to do that.

3 Likes