axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

ElixirConf US 2018 – Going Multi-Node – Eric Oestrich (@oestrich)

You have an application that works well on a single node, and you’ve heard that Erlang lets you scale out in a cluster. How do you go about doing that?

We’ll walk through the steps I took to turn ExVenture (a multiplayer game server) into a distributed application.

Starting with connecting nodes in development and production, to picking a cluster leader via the Raft protocol, and dealing with process groups to fan calls throughout the cluster.

Finally we’ll see some of the hurdles I encountered when spanning multiple nodes.

Audience: Advanced
Topics: distribution, distributed-systems

All talks are available in the ElixirConf US 2018 Talks List or via the elixirconf2018 tag

Where Next? Top

Trending in Talks Top

alexslade
This is a thread to organise resources while we wait for official posting of videos. I’ve committed to keeping this post updated, please ...
New
bartblast
This is the follow-up to my ElixirConf EU talk in Malaga, which was mostly about the local-first problem and where sync engines stand on ...
New
CodeSync
What if you could build production-ready RAG entirely in Elixir? George Guimarães, ElixirConfEU 2026 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNB...
New
ElixirConf
Failing to Introduce Elixir - John Darrington https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAH68yVnh8 Comments welcome! View the <span class="hasht...
New
CodeSync
Rebuilding Workflow Orchestration in Elixir: The Story of Gust - Marcio Klepacz | ElixirConf EU 2026 Comments welcome! Vi...
New
ElixirConf
Lightning Talk: Joseph Koski - Functional Program with Elixir | ElixirConf US 2025 Comments welcome! View the <span class...
New
CodeSync
The Everything App - Lars Wikman | ElixirConf EU 2026 Comments welcome! View the <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"><...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews