8 years of Elixir books - which ones have been your faves?

Can you believe the first professionally published Elixir book was published just 8 years ago? Since then I think we’ve seen more books for Elixir than any other language of a similar age (except maybe Swift).

Which ones have you read and which ones are your faves? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m kinda new to elixir and just read a couple of books but I really liked Programming Ecto: Build Database Apps in Elixir for Scalability and Performance. Well written and really made med understand ecto, changesets etc.

4 Likes

Elixir in Action is a HOF to me.
I also really liked the weather station with nerves, quick pace and straight to the point, lots of fun there.

I’m starting Chris’ metaprogramming one, I’ll report back later.

3 Likes

Elixir in Action

• understand Elixir basics and OTP

Designing Elixir Systems with OTP

• lots of good principles explained

Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir

• data!
6 Likes

If I had to chose only one book, it would certainly be Elixir in Action!

4 Likes

+1 Elixir In Action; great content as noted. Also just really well -written - I stopped multiple times to appreciate just how much better a given concept was explained relative to an average programming book.

3 Likes

Awesome!

I have enjoyed all the books I’ve read to date, cross-posting my reviews here in case any newcomers are interested:

Programming Elixir

Elixir In Action

Programming Ecto

Learn Functional Programming with Elixir

Programming Phoenix

(Not a review as I never got around to finishing it but just some quick thoughts)

I really want to read Programming Phoenix from scratch, but think I am going to wait until it’s updated for LiveView…

6 Likes

Faves in order are:

1. Elixir in Action
  2. (a tie) Programming Phoenix & Phoenix LiveView
  3. Designing Elixir Systems With OTP

After I had finished these I really felt at home in Elixir and being able to reason through most issues I had come to face in my day to day coding with the language.

I just wish there was a book of the same quality as the above that goes over elixir releases, clustering and deployment into containerized environments! I’ve read manuals and many an article. There is just something about a good book that succinctly expresses that knowledge in a way I can hand to our new developers that is enticing!

1 Like
  1. Elixir in Action
  2. Designing Elixir Systems with OTP

I think without the “Elixir in Action” I wouldn’t be able to appreciate the “Designing Elixir Systems with OTP”.

1 Like
  1. Elixir in Action
  2. Real-time Phoenix
  3. Testing Elixir
  4. Designing Elixir Systems with OTP
2 Likes