9) ElixirConf US 2018 – Meet Virtuoso: The Chatbot Orchestration Framework Built with Elixir – Justus Eapen

ElixirConf US 2018 – Meet Virtuoso: The Chatbot Orchestration Framework Built with Elixir – Justus Eapen (@justuseapen)

Chatbots have gotten a lot of hype over the last few years. Now that the hype is dying down, it’s clear that there is a long way to go before chatbots are ubiquitous tools for interacting with our favorite services.

There are many tools to help you develop a bot, but when SmartLogic wanted to develop “The Incredible Baltimore Bill Bot”, we couldn’t find anything in the Elixir ecosystem that suited our needs.

So we decided to roll our own.

In the process, we learned that a chatbot architecture based on our own cognitive processes was easier to develop for and more efficient in its use of resources.

Out of this attempt, I’ve developed a platform-agnostic framework for developing chatbots using Elixir and Phoenix. The architecture is loosely inspired by modern cognitive psychology and easy to grasp at a glance.

The result of this is a framework called Virtuoso (WIP) which I will describe in this talk. If you follow along you should have a working FB Messenger bot in about 30 minutes.

Audience: Intermediate, Advanced
Topics: bots

All talks are available in the ElixirConf US 2018 Talks List or via the elixirconf2018 tag

4 Likes

In this video, I enjoyed learning about the types of bot architectures. Command and response, finite state, and frame based.

1 Like

I enjoyed this talk and was pleased to hear the singularity got a mention :003:

I shall look forward to seeing how Virtuoso progresses :023:

1 Like