ketupia

ketupia

I’ve created a custom type for my Enum so I could provide labels. I couldn’t find a function that returned the values and their labels. My as_select_options() is my short term solution. Is there an out of the box function?

`defmodule MyApp.AttendanceMode do
  use Ash.Type.Enum, values: [hybrid: "Hybird", in_person: "In Person", online: "Online"]

  def as_select_options() do
    values()
    |> Enum.map(fn key -> {description(key), key} end)
  end
end

Here’s an example of how I use it.

      <.input
        field={form[:attendance_mode]}
        type="select"
        label="Attendance Mode"
        options={AttendanceMode.select_options()}
      />

Showing Posts 1 to 6

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

There isn’t a function to do what you want, but we should make one :slight_smile:

I’d accept a PR for something along those lines. I’d like maybe a less web-y name, like labeled_values/0? Then you can do MyApp.AttendanceMode.labeled_values() in the section options. Please open a proposal issue or a PR :bowing_man:

mindok

mindok

While we’re about it, it would also be good to be able to override the description function so you can localise the descriptions.

Edit 1: I currently have a “translated” function in place of description along the lines of:

  def translated(value) do
    case value do
      :hybrid -> gettext("Hybrid")
      :in_person -> gettext("In Person")
      :online -> gettext("Online")
    end
  end

It would be nicer to have the same code in the description function so “it just works” elsewhere.

Edit 2: It looks like an easy enough change - just tagging the function as overridable, but would be good to understand why it isn’t currently.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I don’t think we had a use case for it yet, or had it brought up yet is all. I don’t see a reason that function couldn’t be overridable.

ketupia

ketupia OP

Would the request be for in Ash or AshPhoenix?

Option 1. In Ash, add a generic function

  @spec labeled_values() :: [{:atom, String.t()}]
  @doc """
  Returns a list of the values and their descriptions.
  """
  def labeled_values() do
    values()
    |> Enum.map(fn key -> {key, description(key)} end)
  end

Option 2. In AshPhoenix, maybe on Form, it could be more web-y specific.

# @spec options_for_select(Ash.Type.Enum.t()) :: [{String.t(), :atom}]
  @doc """
  Returns a list of the descriptions, value pairs to pass to Phoenix.HTML.Form.options_for_select/2.
  """
  def options_for_select(enum) do
    enum.values()
    |> Enum.map(fn key -> {enum.description(key), key} end)
  end

Both? Option 3?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I think the first is more versatile. It doesn’t hurt to have it in core.

ketupia

ketupia OP

Proposal Issue created

Thank you for your help

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews