rugyoga

rugyoga

My work at Lob involves a program called Dora that performs address verification. It validates addresses, repairs them to something valid or rejects them and tells you the issue. It’s basically a very long pipeline processing an Address struct with lots of rules and steps that gradually enrich the data structure as it passes along the pipeline.

The original authors have since moved on so we had to come up with techniques to understand why Dora makes the decisions and modifications it does.

To that end, I came up with Audit (hex,
github)

It operates by adding an extra field to the data structure of interest: __audit_trail__.
You then wrap your updates with the audit macro.
This will record the current file and line number (hence the use of a macro) and store the current version of the data structure.
The __audit_trail__ field is effectively a linked list history of every version of the
data structure you wrapped in audit.

The to_string method will take a struct with the __audit_trail__
and pretty print the list deltas and with the line of code that caused it
(as a github link, a filename/line number and a code snippet from the actual line in the file)
e.g. some example output:

github url: https://github.com/lob/dora/tree/leverage_audit_hex_package/lib/dora/.../standard.ex#L234
local path: lib/dora/.../standard.ex:234
code: address = %Address{audit(address) | primary_number: primary}
diff: [{[:primary_number], {:add, "18"}}]
=====
github url: https://github.com/lob/dora/tree/leverage_audit_hex_package/lib/dora/.../standard.ex#L228
local path: lib/dora/.../standard.ex:228
code: address = %Address{audit(address) | street_name: street}
diff: [{[:street_name], {:add, "BERNICE"}}]
=====
github url: https://github.com/lob/dora/tree/leverage_audit_hex_package/lib/dora/.../standard.ex#L217
local path: lib/dora/.../standard.ex:217
code: address = %Address{audit(address) | street_suffix: suffix}
diff: [{[:street_suffix], {:add, "ST"}}]

To kick the tires, add the following to your deps:

      {:audit, "~> 0.1.6"},

Add the __audit_trail__ field to your struct.
And modify your instances of:

%struct{ v | ... }

to be:

%struct{ audit(v) | ... }

then do the following to your resulting data structure:

r 
|> Audit.to_string()
|> IO.puts

Showing Posts 1 to 4

egze

egze

That is very cool and the usage seems quite nice.

Can you please edit the main post and include the GitHub Repo and a link to hex.pm? :wink:

egze

egze

Is there also a way to diff 2 structures, after the change has already happened?

rugyoga

rugyoga OP

Fixed.

rugyoga

rugyoga OP

Would adding a last_only: true option to to_string do what you want?

r |> Audit.to_string(last_only: true) |> IO.puts
github url: https://github.com/lob/dora/tree/leverage_audit_hex_package/lib/dora/.../standard.ex#L217
local path: lib/dora/.../standard.ex:217
code: address = %Address{audit(address) | street_suffix: suffix}
diff: [{[:street_suffix], {:add, "ST"}}]

i.e. it just stringifies the last diff.

You can access the diff engine directly with:

Audit.Delta.delta(a, b)

but you have to null out the __audit_trail__ field using Audit.unaudit_fun
before passing in the structs.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews