Best Linux laptop for developers?

Who said you need to buy several Laptops :wink:

I can have installed Linux along side Windowsā€¦ No need to have a different laptop per OS and Linux flavour.

Ok if you develop IOS apps and their backends APIs then it would make sense to have only a MAC.

I use Linux since 2012 and never had problems with wifi cards in the several laptops I usedā€¦ I had some issues with one thing or another but nothing compared to the pains of using Windows.

I run 100% on Linux since then but still need to maintain my wife Windows computers :frowning:

1 Like

Perhaps I had simply bad luck then, but especially the broadcom adapters used by the dell laptops I had so far were a PITA.

Due to licensing restrictions by broadcom, one has to manually download the windows drivers and extract the firmware from it manually.

The intel in my current laptop was a lot easier to install, but it has trouble to keep its speed. It drops down to 200 kB/s after a while and the only way to recover is to reboot.

I do not have this speed problems on windows.

So most of the time I just plug in copper.

I had an USB TPLink WiFi card that had major problems under any windows later than 7, and worked flawlessly under any Linux. But also my current office USB TPLink WiFi card (totally different model) has painless driver installation under Arch, and needs some manual work under Ubuntu.

So I guess itā€™s really down to luck and specific vendor/distro combo and even windows has itā€™s problems.

Heh, now when I look back 15 years ago, I had even better luck installing Thompson Speedtouch 330 drivers under Linux (albeit it needed a lot of manual work) than under windows, because official drivers from my telecom was known to include nasty malware.

But this days most of hardware simply just works under most of Linux distros. Just plug and play.

I run Xubuntu on an old skool 14" Dell and 10.1" Asusā€¦

You only really need to reboot when there are changes to the kernel, did you try to restart the service? Something like 'systemctl restart network` or something similar should have the same effect as reboot and logs might have info as to what goes wrong.

No restarting the network stack does not help. In fact I do blame the kernel module, but as I am able to simply use copper it doesnā€™t bother me much.

What does ā€œalong sideā€ actually mean?

Regardless, did you miss the fact that there are more operating
systems than just Windows / MacOS / Linux?

@Exadra37 is talking about dual booting (or triple, quadruple, ā€¦ booting)

1 Like

Yes I know you have more OSā€™s but I was just pointing out the most common ones.

As @Qqwy already said you can boot as many OSā€™s you want from 1 single computer.

You canā€™t install linux on all pcs, some hardware is linux resistance.
If you wanā€™t to install linux you need to think before on what you will be using it.
I want just to install system and donā€™t have any problems, like with nvidia proprietary drivers
For example I bought special for linux intel nuc, and I happy with it,

1 Like

Iā€™m no expert on the subject but thereā€™s been a lot of buzz around doing VFIO PCI Passthrough to get near-native graphics performance on virtual machines hosted on Linux. Think Ubuntu/Fedora with Windows virtual machines running on top that donā€™t have noticeable performance degradations. Hopefully it gets easier to setup and manage, because Windows loves to screw around with my Linux bootloaders when dual-booting, and rarely plays nice with GRUB. I donā€™t like to have to restart my computer to access programs/resources on a different HDD/Partition.

This is issue is a recent thing, like less then 3 to 4 years?

Never add that problem in all PCs or Laptops, but Iā€™m not a gamerā€¦

Iā€™ve been 100% linux since the same year Windows Vista came out (2006?) and dual-booted for a decade before that and used FreeBSD even before that, linux since even 2006 I never had hardware issues with that were not outright hardware bugs or failure, and since 2011 or so never seen issues on any laptops ran on around here as well.

Also, my wife is 100% linux, she hates windows and mac, I love her. ^.^

Well thatā€™s just Dell-crap. :wink:

Seriously though, atheros chipsets I think it was were made by idiots back in the day, but you could of course run the windows drivers in a lifted layer on linux back then, but even nowadays thatā€™s no issue, Linux ā€˜just worksā€™ on everything I run it on anymore.

Broadcom is garbage thoughā€¦

Not seen that lately, but it was an issue a decade ago. I run live/usbs all the time here with no speed issues at all (and in fact quite the opposite, the wifi runs significantly better in linux than it does on the windows installs on the intel wifi chipsets).

Technically you donā€™t need to do that either. The linux kernel supports hotswapping, itā€™s just a pain to do (but once you have it setup it works well, I only played with it once). :slight_smile:

nVidia is easily one of the worst tech companies out (beat by only the likes of Apple and Sony and so forth), well not necessarily their hardware itself, but their code is and as a Company (*cough*GPP*cough*) they certainly are.

Works fantastic on my wifeā€™s computer with an AMD card.

My computer is 6-14 years old depending on the piece, I need to updateā€¦ ^.^;

My wife is much more of a gamer though so she gets the upgrades (runs linux native games when possible, else wine, and only as a fallback to a frozen VFIO windows VM, which hasnā€™t even been set back up yet so ignore that for nowā€¦).

Nvidia makes a lot of money building cards for machine learning, I think it only cares where income is ā€¦

Yep, they are very much like oracle in their actions. Interestingly their machine learning is starting to get replaced by certain chinese companies that have popped up out of nowhere. They are actually pretty dang good hardware too, especially for the price! Iā€™m wondering how nvidia will keep up with themā€¦

Linux and Nvidiaā€¦ a love story

3 Likes

Yes I like Linus Torvalds, he just say straight out what he thinks.

1 Like

Heh, which he is so often (not ā€˜alwaysā€™, but almost always) in the right too.

Like security issues should not just be glossed over with a broken patch, security issues are and should be treated like first-class Bugs and should be treated as such, entirely fixed properly, not just a stupid little whitelist of programsā€¦

1 Like

I just ordered a System76 Galago Pro and will post my thoughts once it arrives and I used it. It has the i7 processor, 32Gb ram, NVMe drive, upgraded wifi.

4 Likes