KekKekington

KekKekington

I was tasked with a low-priority project at work that will be used to monitor any websites/services belonging to our clients (mantained by us) and figured that it could be a good time to show the benefits of using Elixir. My thought was that since this is a very simple task, I could focus on following the best practices and as a practical excercise for me, since I always read/listen about Elixir but don’t have much time to actually write it…

What I have planned so far is a supervised GenServer that routinely calls itself to execute the task every X seconds, where the task is performing a GET at /healthz and looking for a 200 reply or a basic ping if I get a 404 there. That task would run that function for each domain registered using a Task. All of this would be published to a very simple LiveView dashboard (to show LiveView’s potential, too).

I was also planning on using a document-store in GCE or AWS to store the registered domains (keeping the program very simple and sort of stateless, I’d like to try and run it in Kubernetes for testing).

I’m aware that this is a very simple task but I’d love any opinions or suggestions on this. I don’t want to over-engineer since this will be used only for a few websites, but I also don’t want to “brute force” everything, so to speak.

As a sidenote, I had the idea of doing this with LiveView but optimizing it for viewing through a terminal with cURL or similar programs. e.g. calling the service’s endpoint and start viewing a TUI dashbord. Would this be too crazy?

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

mindok

mindok

There’s a good writeup (plus a library) for period tasks on @sasajuric 's blog - The Erlangelist - Periodic jobs. This approach is very light on infrastructure. If you need full tracking, retry etc then the community seems to lean towards @sorentwo 's Oban project - GitHub - oban-bg/oban: 💎 Robust job processing in Elixir, backed by modern PostgreSQL, SQLite3, and MySQL · GitHub - but that comes with more infrastructure (i.e database) to persist job status etc.

They should be able to give you some inspiration.

webuhu

webuhu

I did a similar project for monitoring, but never had time to finish it to be ready to open source it.

First of all often there aren’t such a thing as best practices in Elixir.
There could be more then one suitable good solution.
That’s one of the beautiful things in Elixir.

In my project for the scheduled “ping” requests it just used Task and TaskSupervisor.

The periodic task in its simplest form (in my opinion):

use Task, restart: :transient

# 60 s
@interval 60 * 1_000

def start_link(_) do
  Task.start_link(&process/0)
end

def process() do
  receive do
  after
    @interval ->
      # do your work here
      IO.inspect "ping"

      process()
  end
end

For storing the registered domains I just used a File which I read at application start.
About the TUI thing I can’t give any suggestions.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You mentioned you were tasked with the project at work; was there any discussion of build-vs-buy? It’s going to be challenging to show the benefits of Elixir when competing with off-the-shelf tools like Pingdom that do this exact job (plus alerting, dashboards, etc) for about 1 US dollar per month per site.

If there are requirements that aren’t served by the market - could be anything from regulatory requirements, to IP filtering on the target sites, to client confidentiality - then make sure your Elixir hype focuses on how it can help solve those unique problems.

KekKekington

KekKekington OP

We’re a VERY small team so we try to keep our tooling costs down, specially when they won’t really benefit our productivity. The truth is that this project is very low priority and it wouldn’t even be a problem to just not do it. As someone who struggles finding or coming up with projects to practice, this seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Otherwise, I’d agree with you that buying would be better in most cases but I’m looking at this as a small personal challenge.

KekKekington

KekKekington OP

Thank you. I read up Dockyard’s write up about not using external dependencies for periodic tasks, but that was from 2017… I’ll check the links you shared :grin:

KekKekington

KekKekington OP

Thank you for sharing your code and insight, I’ll look into Task and TaskSupervisor more.

mpope

mpope

A very simple way is using Process.send_after/4. A gen_server can just send itsself a repeating message.

cnck1387

cnck1387

There’s also https://uptimerobot.com/ which is free up to 50 sites and polls your site every 5 minutes. You can get alerts, a 30 day uptime history and response times on the free tier. I’ve been using them for years.

But if you do roll your own, database persistence seems reasonable so you can measure uptime over X time. That would likely mean storing the results in a DB, in which case Oban wouldn’t introduce additional complexity if you’re already using Postgres.

KekKekington

KekKekington OP

That might actually be a good option, I guess we could use that but I’ll still build the app either way as practice.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews