bryanhuntesl

bryanhuntesl

Perhaps we as community need to do something to make it easier to install Elixir on the various desktops.

What do people think? What are the pain-points getting Elixir installed and an environment configured.

Is the fact that you have to install both Erlang and Elixir to have a development environment an inconvenience?

Primarily, interested in the experience on Mac, and Windows - for Linux you’ve got the choice of asdf/kerl/distro packages/erlang solutions packages so I don’t think it’s such an issue.

Anyhow, any feedback welcome.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

On macs one can use asdf as well. Brew does work for just installing “a” version. It doesn’t do version management like asdf though.

pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872

yep, asdf is actually the preferred way to install it for us.

@bryanhuntesl I think installing Erlang and Elixir to your machine is a pretty straight forward ask if you want to use Elixir, right?

The main issues I’ve seen with installation problems is not following the asdf readme. There are a couple of steps that do make a difference. Also, the order as well, installing Erlang first (with a certain OTP version), then Elixir (with a matching OTP version).

I have seen issues where mixing brew with asdf caused some pain, but was never able to duplicate and folks resolved on their own after using asdf. Once folks started using only asdf, issues went away.

zkessin

zkessin

I generally start each project with a Vagrantfile that sets up a VM that will reflect my production environment (Ubuntu, postgresql etc) then I am good to go. And when I screw up my development machine I can just revert the file and rebuild the VM.

I also rebuild the VM pretty much every morning. I even have a make target that deletes all the build artifacts, and the existing vagrant VM and rebuilds it all from scratch. That takes about 10-15 minutes

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

If you’re using asdf I think the biggest pain point is installing erlang, since it installs from source and compilation takes a good 20+ minutes. I’m sure there’s others as well, but that’s my largest pain point.

hauleth

hauleth

There is another problem for me - differences in versions. In ASDF you need to be aware of the version of Erlang and version of Elixir that you are using. In most cases you can use Elixir compiles with older Erlang version, but other way around can fail. That is why I started using Nix, as it makes such mismatches impossible.

bryanhuntesl

bryanhuntesl OP

I’ve thought about this before - the long compile time for Erlang on a local box. Maybe something could be done to pre-compile Erlang for consumption by an asdf plugin. The only annoyance is the fact we can’t use the same docker infrastructure we use for RPM/Deb/AMD/86 Linux. Still maybe there’s an trustworthy OSX build service somewhere.

garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team

The .tar.gz files on Index of /download/ are precompiled. Though they are only available for major and maintenance releases, not patches.

As of OTP-23.1 (to be released soon), we will also include a prebuilt tar.gz with all releases (major, maint and patch) on github.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Only 20 minutes? That’s very nice, maybe I should try it sometimes. For comparison, I think Erlang/OTP has similar scope as OpenJDK, which will take hours to compile. I am willing to bet that nodejs is not going to be faster.

chulkilee

chulkilee

I’m using asdf (with git clone) + homebrew on macOS and it works well for me.

  • Elixir - use precompiled with specific OTP (e.g. 1.10.4-otp-23)
  • Erlang - compile.. but it’s not that bad (it took 15min on my 2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch)

I found more challenges on setting up IDE/editors could be tricky (which deserves a separate thread)

  • IDE/editor may not detect asdf correctly, or versions in .tools-version automatically
  • IDE/editor may not handle elixir+erlang combo as SDK nicely (e.g. jetbrain)
bryanhuntesl

bryanhuntesl OP

Hmm that’s an interesting point - asdf doesn’t have the concept of transitive dependency at all. There are analogues to the Erlang/Elixir situation too, Java/Scala is an obvious one that comes to mind.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews