PragTob
Elixir is a great language, but some behavior can be unintuitive, confusing and in the worst case lead to bugs. So, I took a look at 10 Elixir gotchas explaining why they exist and how to avoid them!
Trending in Blog Posts
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
The words are insufficient to describe what transpired. What we tried to do met what the people wanted it to be. It became beautiful.
Th...
New
Hi all,
I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course
Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
A backtest worker and a live trading node had to share one broker rate limit and one set of OAuth tokens, and both only work if there’s e...
New
An automated trigger fired every two minutes for 8 hours. 243 agent runs. 31M tokens. $63 wasted. The problem: nobody noticed until morni...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
BartOtten
Great post.
One more: is_atom(nil) == true as nil is an atom. However, most people mean a defined atom and not ‘undefined’ nil.
PragTob
Great one! Would have fit well in the current post with all the
nilshenanigans but I’ll add it to the list for a follow up!D4no0
The chapter
How to use constantsis a little bit misleading as module a attributes have not been built to be constant in their design, even though we use them for that.I agree that a new option for
Module.register_attribute/3to enforce it to be constant would be nice, even though I never saw the immediate need for that as if you respect the fact that you define attributes on top before code, this problem goes away.PragTob
I mean, the post mentions that they aren’t actually constant and more of a work-around but also linking to the docs saying to use them as constants. I don’t know how I should make it clearer there while keeping some brevity and not making it the entire topic of the post.
D4no0
Ah my bad, you could also point out that a private function can be used for the same thing.
PragTob
Already updated with that - or well a public function to keep it accessible. I discussed it a bit with José, there are some things that just don’t work without module attributes or would require other workarounds.
michallepicki
Related list collected a few years ago on this forum: Elixir Gotchas and Common Issues Wiki
PragTob
Some great ones in there, thanks!
dwark
I got caught off guard by:
After checking, the docs spell it out neatly once I starting looking for an explanation
(
--is right-associative).PragTob
Oh wow, that’s also news to me! Thanks!
I think the great thing about Elixir is that pretty much all of these are well spelled out in the docs