DestroyedSoul

DestroyedSoul

Hello,
I have a page that consists of several user inputs and buttons.
For real-time validation (as well as updating character count) I am using form, but only phx-change, no phx-submit.

My page structure looks roughly like this:

<div class="max-w-5xl">
  <h1 tag here>
  <form phx-change="change_form">
    <%= if some_condition?() do %>
        <textarea> with some styling
       <button phx-click="event_one">Next 1</button>
    <% else %>
      <textarea> with practically the same styling
      <button phx-click="event_two">Next 2</button>
    <% end %>
  </form>
</div>

Pressing Next 1 button updates the state in such a way that some_condition would be fulfilled, and the second text area and Next 2 button would be displayed.
This works without any issues.

The Next 2 button is exactly the same as the first one, and after pressing it similar handle_event function is called.

The problem is that whatever I do (

  • handle_event does have some logic;
  • handle_event immediately returns {:noreply, socket};
  • Next 2 button does not have phx-click at all
    )
    pressing the button reloads the entire page.
    It does send phx-click event (except when I tried removing it), but then console immediately prints [info] GET /my-endpoint, the socket is reconnected, mount is called and the state of the page is reset.

I noticed one thing: if I remove this second button out of the form, it stops acting out. But no problem ever happens with the first button.

Please advise me on what am I missing here.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This will make the button a plain HTML button, so clicking it will cause the form to “submit” and reload the page.

The usual culprit for this sort of behavior is that the LiveView that receives the event crashes. Is there anything else printed to the server log? Can you post the code of your handle_event?

mindok

mindok

Further to @al2o3cr comments…

If you have a phx-click attribute on the button, but no matching handle_event it will crash the liveview and reload the page. You will see an error in the logs.

If you have a <button> with no type attribute, it will default to a form submit button if the button is contained within a form. See <button> HTML button element - HTML | MDN for more info.

Try setting the button types to button explicitly to override the default behaviour (e.g. <button type="button" phx-click="event_two">Next 2</button>.

DestroyedSoul

DestroyedSoul OP

So, there were no crashes, nor any errors in the console.
It literally sent an event and then reloaded the live view.

handle_event had just one line {:noreply, socket}.

And @mindok was totally right: it was missing type="button". Next 1 button had it.
Thanks a lot!

loon

loon

damnnnnnnnittt!!! the type=“button” save my days, even AI couldn’t solve that. haha Thanks with love.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews