carlosarli
Hello,
I am a complete jasvascript newbie so please bear with me.
I am using fullcalnedar.io to render a calendar in one of my views and I would like to prompt the new action from my appointment controller when I click on a date on the calendar. So i have to create a function that corresponds to the dayClick helper from the api that calls the new action in the controller and passes to it the start and end date. I know how to get the start date and the other details in javascrit I just don’t know how to make the call. should I use ajax? if so could you give me an example of how you would do it that I coul use as an example for then my other actions such as edit?
Thank you very much for your patience
Carlo
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
You can read about making requests from js using
XMLHttpRequesthere orfetchhere.For
XMLHttpRequestit would be something like this, probably (adapted from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9713058/send-post-data-using-xmlhttprequest)And for
fetch(adapted from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29775797/fetch-post-json-data)peerreynders
Doing what exactly?
You have to understand that once the page is loaded in the browser there is no inherent “connection” between the browser page and the Phoenix controller.
In
dayClickyou could simply set something liketo navigate to a new page (see
Window.location).If you have your routes set up something like this:
then that request would be routed to the
DateControllerto generate the new page which would then be loaded in the browser.carlosarli
Hi, thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it
I have set up everything like a normal crud app so my appointments have a form and the usual templates that call it with different parameters. I wanted to be able to click on a calendar day and prompt up the form with the dates already filled in corresponding to the day that I clicked. Now the ultimate goal woud be to have a small partial directly into the page with ajax but for now I’d be happy to click on a day and just get redirected to the form in a new page with hte relevant information preloaded.
Does that make my question a tad clearer? I am sorry for the messiness of the first post
kokolegorille
If You just want to be redirected, You could use a normal link instead of a js link, passing some parameters along.
The idea of js link is not to have the page reloaded. You make a request, with fetch or ajax, and you receive data. With this data, You still need to update the Dom to reflect changes. This can be done by jquery, or vanilla js.
For your use case, I would look at drab library.
peerreynders
Sounds like you want something like a modal rather than a submittable
form.See Considerations for Styling a Modal (demo) to see how the HTML/CSS/JS elements interact to achieve the basic desired result with vanilla JS. Of course you are going to still have to add:
dayClickcode to fetch the data from Phoenix withfetch(some people preferaxios)For improved performance you may want to consider having all the detailed information relating to any dates already on the screen inside the browser so that you can grab the information from there and only send the changes back to Phoenix while you update your local copy.
For example TodoMVC maintains an array of todo objects as a model (though in your case use of
LocalStoragewould be overkill) - any information in the DOM is simply a copy of information inside that client side model.There is an example todo backend implementation with an older version of Phoenix here (demo).
In particular look at the
router.exandtodo_controller.ex.In general I wouldn’t pay any attention to the JavaScript client used here because it’s ancient. It uses Backbones.js fetch.
carlosarli
Hey,
Thanks for the help
I’m looking into drab as it seems like a good way to limit the amount of js to write (not a big fan I’m afraid). I was wondering if i get how it works more or less correctly: Am I right in saying that I could assign to the dayClick event a call to a drab controller to which I pass the relevant data from the dom and then use the drab controller to call a the usual phoenix controller?
In this case i would say that I click on a day on the calendar, get the relevant dates, pass them on to the drab controller and then call the new action in the controller from there?
Thank you
carlosarli
BTW I solved my issue by using HTML local storage to pass the datetime data from the calendar to the form
thank you all for the help!