grych
Creator of Drab
Hi folks,
Few months ago I have announced the proof-of-concept of the library to manipulate the browsers DOM objects directly from Elixir (here). Finally, first beta has been released!
- Source and installation instruction: GitHub - grych/drab: Remote controlled frontend framework for Phoenix. · GitHub
- Home page: Drab: Server Side User Interface Access - with live examples
- Documentation with more examples: https://tg.pl/drab/docs
And of course it is available as a hex package.
In the meantime I’ve changed the API, so it is - I believe - easier to remember. If you think about webpage as a database which contains DOM objects, it is natural to query:
select(:text, from: "p:first")to get text of the first paragraph orselect(attr: :href, from: "a")for all links in the document,
update some object(s) withupdate(css: :border, set: "3px solid red", on: this(sender)),
add new nodes or attributesinsert("<b>IMPORTANT</b>", before: "p:first"),
or remove something withdelete(class: "btn", from: "#the_button"),
and more, like synchronous modal which - launched on the server side - waits for user input.
Any suggestions, criticism, ideas welcome!
–
Grych
Trending in Announcing
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.
Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
New
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Hologram v0.12 is out! This one is for the big apps. Evo Store, Hologram’s Performance Sponsor, has an app with over 9,000 Elixir modules...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Qqwy
Do I understand it well if I say that this allows you to basically ‘remote control’ what a user sees on their webpage?
This is very interesting, as I feel myself writing similar javascript over and over again to manage these kinds of tasks.
If this would be combined with a JS library managing a virtual DOM, we might even be able to write nearly all browser-UI management on the server, FRP-style!
grych
Yes, it does exactly this. You can manipulate the user interface in the real-time, from Elixir/Phoenix.
–
Grych
Eiji
Good job! It’s awesome for all projects that do not care about support as many connections as possible as fast as possible
What do you think about shourtcut method to toggle actions (delete or insert something or update with keep prevoous value)?
Qqwy
I foresee a wonderful symbiosis between Drab and GenFRP
…
grych
Yes, this is a good idea, thanks! We can extend
update/3function like:So in case when value to set is a list, it toggles between the array values (and it doesn’t have to be only 2 values: we can cycle!)
grych
Interesting, thanks for sharing the idea!
Eiji
Nice! Your API looks great. I want to see something like this in pure JavaScript.
You could add also shortcut for
data-attributes:and allow to fetch dataset like:
You can also move h3 outside
ulat bottom of your home pagegrych
Thanks! I’ll add it to my todo list!.
OvermindDL1
This looks fascinating and could simplify code! A question though, how does it work with a shadow DOM (which makes custom elements internal parts invisible to normal DOM methods) as the site I work on is almost entirely Shadow Dom (which is faked on Firefox and such but a real shadow DOM on Chrome)?
nico_amsterdam
Awesome.
I was thinking about using intercooler.js mainly to get partial-page-rendering (alongside pushstate), but this seems even better.