jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb

Given that View modules contain formatting logic, what do you do if you want to format some data in your main application (ie in lib/myapp/ as opposed to in the lib/myapp_web/) ?

We are doing a load of CSV exports, and I keep finding myself aliasing View modules in my library modules which feels dirty.

How do you handle this? Do you have any self-enforced rules about which modules can call others? I’d love to hear about them!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

First I’d ask: why do you use Views for CSV output?

You can just use nimble_csv in your controller and directly return the CSV with render text: csv_output or some such (sorry, forgot the actual Phoenix syntax).

jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb OP

Thanks for the reply @dimitarvp

I am using view logic to format the data in the same way as we do in our templates.

Here is a trivial example:

# in controller
def csv_users(conn, params) do
  binary = Accounts.buid_users_csv_export()
  send_download(conn, binary: binary)
end

# in Accounts.Users.ExportCSV
def buid_users_csv_export() do
    Users.list_users() 
    |> Enum.map(fn user ->
      [
        UserView.format_name(user),
        UserView.format_address(user),
      ...
      ]
     |> NimbleCSV.build_csv()
end

This is a really basic example of pseudo code but it is exactly the issue that I am facing in many places in my application. In reality, there is too much formatting to just redefine the functions locally to this module.

Any help really appreciated :pray:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

What do you mean by that? CSV doesn’t need formatting. :icon_confused:

jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb OP

There are too many of these “formatting” functions: UserView.format_address(user)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

So am I understanding correctly: you don’t want to use nimble_csv and you want to keep using Phoenix Views for CSV formatting because the functions that output the proper CSV fields are too many?

jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb OP

Hi @dimitarvp. No you aren’t understanding me correctly.

I am happily using NimbleCSV. Maybe forget that I ever mentioned CSV :slight_smile:

I think this is the crux of my question:

Given that View modules contain formatting logic, what do you do if you want to format some data in your main application (ie in lib/myapp/ as opposed to in the lib/myapp_web/ ) ?

I feel like it is not good design/practice to reference my UserView module in my Accounts.Users.ExportCSV module and wanted to understand how people would get around this issue.

lud

lud

They just want access for example the full_name(user) function defined in the view to fill the CSV column full_name in the CSV generating code.

@ jmurphyweb you could move your helpers in the data model and import them from your view and your csv code.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oops, sorry for the derp. :smiley:

In all Phoenix projects where I had any influence, I always moved such functions outside the _web namespace. They absolutely don’t belong there in my eyes. They are also not views per se, they are like data reshapers / transformers / whatever-you-want-to-call them.

So yep, move them to the other namespace and don’t have a care in the world. :slight_smile:

mindok

mindok

I think this would be better reworded as “Given that View modules contain formatting code specifically for rendering one or more web-pages”. Then there would be no confusion. If it isn’t to do with a web page or API output, it doesn’t belong in the _web part of the project.

It is dirty, that’s why it feels dirty! :grin:

jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb OP

They absolutely don’t belong there in my eyes. They are also not views per se, they are like data reshapers / transformers / whatever-you-want-to-call them.

That’s honestly really eye opening for me. I thought this basic formatting was exactly the purpose of View modules in Phoenix!

It sounds like you are saying the View modules are specifically for putting controller/context provided data into a shape that a template will readily consume. Is that pretty much it?

Can I just double check my comprehension:

Create these data formatters somewhere in/round the User module and then alias that module in my view module for access by the templates?

I can see why that is an improvement, but something still seems a little off the me :thinking:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews